Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Question on what Batteries.

And cost a freakin fortune.

I have a surefire tac light and the damn thing eats batteries to the extreme. Great for the high brightness but 10 bucks every 15 min. would stink.

<center></center>

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Melek Taus

Nobody uses 3v lithium? They would save on tons of space and be lighter.

Melek

There is no light or dark...there is only the Force....knowing this...who dares to challenge me?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I use them on my plasma saber. I couldn't fit anything else I had into the space left. They are expensive and I had to make my own holder.

The only use I see in LEDs is if you only have 1" diameter to work with. Otherwise there is no benefit.

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?.

</center>

That's a good point xwing but as long as I had room I would duct tape AA or AAA battery packs together if need be to stay away from those things. I go through 3-4 sets in my SLR camera a year and like I said with my Sure-Fire taclight that darn thing will burn up the batteries with just one good use of about 15 minutes.

<center></center>

why don't they last as long?

I have access to lots of them....free....:O) Well...for me they are....LOL

Melek

There is no light or dark...there is only the Force....knowing this...who dares to challenge me?

maybe it is like the others, ya know 4 aa will last a bit longer than 4 aaa will type of thing.
    manybe its because they are smaller and cant hold the charge as long because of thaty.
    <center></center>

Lan-Ed-Tul
    The Brotherhood Of The Sith

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

I don't know but I am staying with the Costco(Kirkland Batteries) 4 AA Pack, 48AA's = $9.99 that means 12 Full Runs, I just don't think you can beat it. But I am seriously looking in to Rechargables for my next build the MHS Hilt.[]

<center>
    " I am a Jedi like my Father before me"

</center>

Quote Originally Posted by Do-Clo View Post
    You can solder the tabs of the batteries together to make a battery pack just watch the polarity on the batteries as you connect them, and then use heat shrink tubing or a subsitute to hold the batteries together. You could have gotten a completed battery pack from Tim []

Do-Clo
    Don't make me destroy you...

The Brotherhood of the Sith
    sorry for quoteing from so far back but if I want to do this, make my own packs, do i just solder between the pads with the same 24-26ga wire ive been using for switches and general hilt wiring?

I converted my first vintage graflex and am really unhappy with the space problems im having. lux v blue with 6 aa doesnt even fit really, so i tried a 4 aa pack and the difference of brightness was amazing, im pretty sure all batteries were fresh, so someone interrupt and correct me if they should be same brightness but less runtime for less batteries

I was thinking about having 4 aas in a square, then two above it with the buckpuck alongside.

I <3 Mako

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Don't apologize - it shows you've been doing your homework

If you're going to make your own battery pack, I recommend Li-Ions: two 14500s w/ PCB [Two 18650s fit side-by-side in some replicas but not vintage graflexes]. You can get more voltage out of two 14500s than 6AAa. There's a little more research to make those, but if you're willing to look this far back, then it won't be too bigadeal.

I use 22gauge wire when I make battery packs - it just makes me feel better that they're thicker.

Rechargeable AAs supply 1.2V per cell, so making a pack out of 4 of those will not give you enough - theoretically 6V shouldn't even be enough... but I guess it is

Im using tenergy aas now so at 1.2v each ive essentially got a 7.2v pack, I have seen mention of the 14500s before... now i just have to find it again. I will read into that. I dont want to send my hilt to yoda, not because I dont like his work it looks amazing. I just breally like to do stuff myself and in doing so ... learn. I look at my graflex as my early days prototype, it was the second saber I got a blade and led on, but I want it to grow and evolve as I learn, adding sound, driver, crystal chamber, etc. But that all takes room, so I need to start with a sense of conservation of space.

edit to avoid double posting:

so i was browsing the battery store and found

http://www.batteryjunction.com/prote...0-lithium.html

those seem like a heaven send for hilt space, but is $6 a piece typical or should I be looking elsewhere? I saw in another thread that a poster got some for $1.50 each, but am not sure of the brand/circumstances.
    Last edited by Tradeliphine; 11-27-2008 at 06:02 AM.

I <3 Mako

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tradeliphine View Post
    Im using tenergy aas now so at 1.2v each ive essentially got a 7.2v pack, I have seen mention of the 14500s before... now i just have to find it again. I will read into that. I dont want to send my hilt to yoda, not because I dont like his work it looks amazing. I just breally like to do stuff myself and in doing so ... learn. I look at my graflex as my early days prototype, it was the second saber I got a blade and led on, but I want it to grow and evolve as I learn, adding sound, driver, crystal chamber, etc. But that all takes room, so I need to start with a sense of conservation of space.
    A man after my own heart - I like your attitude!

14500s have a pretty standard price. What I suggest, is grab a side-by-side 2AA holder from radio shack and then get Tim's TrustFire 14500s + charger - I guarantee it will pay for itself after only a few recharge cycles.