Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: LED (makototsai style) Testing

Default LED (makototsai style) Testing

Hi Im sure we all know about makototsai's very awesome led style sabers

example http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/8566/dsci0038ur8.jpg
    and so on

I have completed my first "test pictures" using Light Blue (cyan) 5mm leds. Now Cyan when it comes to these leds isnt actually the Blue/Green that you get from luxeon leds,its actually light blue."you would have to buy Aqua 5mm leds to get that blue/green luxeon type cyan

Now note these 5mm light blue leds are 6000 mcd which is average brightness for these 5mm leds. So they do go quite a bit higher so its quite amazing.I used these ones for the test because i had them on hand.

Now lets "note" these first set of pictures are on my very strong flash on imac computer so its not the same as in person but this is in BROAD DAYLIGHT(i will be aquiring a camera without a flash soon enough and will post more tests on this thread

so here's a couple test pics in BROAD DAYLIGHT
    Attached Images Attached Images

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Stats, man, stats...

- did you link them the same way?
    - how do you have it wired? resisted? powered?
    - what other test do you have planned?
    - how does it compare to your other blades?

et cetera

Good work.. yeah we need more pics of the process! Be that first pic.. looks like a great start. We'll crack Makoto's code soon enough hahaaha.. but yeah, let's see a video of it in action too! Yeah... and stats like Eastern said! muahahaha

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

How is indoors "broad daylight"?
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Hey im sorry for not putting the specs right away i know they are important but i was rushed for time so here they are

SPECS

-I used on of tims 40 inch blade diffuser to put the leds in. i thought it was nylon but it isnt tim told me and i reccommend using nylon which i will be aquiring

-Yes i linked then the exact same way as makototsai

- the only difference is it used 20 degree 5mm leds and makototsai uses 45 degree which i will be most likley testing next.

-i used 6v to power all of them

-i would say right now it is around the same brightness as a force fx roughly(but there only 6000 mcd leds which are average brightness remember)

-im not going to post anymore of these pictures because im going to do a full out tutorial(video and pictures most likley of the whole process once i 'profect" the who process. meaning brightness,materials and ect.

-and sorry about the broad daylight thing its duing the daytime in my room.

-poly p inside the TUBE "xwing style"

Up and COMING TESTS

-Im going to try using brighter leds, im thinking around 45 000 mcd this time instead of 6000 mcd like i used(possible 8mm leds)

-this time there going to be 45 degree's like makototsai

-real nylon tube(not tims)" xwing any links for me for decently price nylon tubes?

-of course better pictures this time around

-and ill put it in one of my practice saber hilts for the effect, this ill be updated ASAP

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I would believe the angle probably has a lot to do with the overall appearance. Know what I mean? It could be 10000 mcd, but if all the light is pointing straight up...

Is is directly driven? battery to LED string? I'll have to calculate current/voltage for when I get my rgbs, but it'd be nice to know, right off, what's been working and what hasn't...

Thanks for getting this started LeMoel, we'll have to chat once I get started...

yes i think you have a good point about degree's but who knows it could be my tube also thats why im going to order a nylon tube to try this time.

but for some reason i feel that 20 degree leds should work too because look at xwing nylon sabers there like 5 or 10 degrees and look awesome so will have to see

i just order 50 green 40 degree, 60 000 mcd leds so will see how the second tests go

and yes i drove them directly,its alot easier doing it than thinking about it in ur head.

once x wing gets back to me i will order a nylon tube, good luck with ur RGB's

what angle are they?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

20 degrees... "plus or minus 5 degrees"

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Our diffusers are Natural ABS but I dont think it will look much different than nylon.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Do you have any pics of the inside of the blade? Or simplified electronics? I never saw any posted by Makototsai.
    Blue 4 "Im hit!"