Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help with blade holder

Default Need help with blade holder

Hey there folks, I'm new to the saber scene (well... not really that new, but certainly new to making my own sabers), so please forgive me for any violations of unspoken rules or something.

I am currently making my own lightsaber, nothing fancy, just an ordinary stunt saber (hence, no sound, flickering, lock up effects or whatever), and rather than order pre-made parts (I live in NZ anyway, I don't even know if TCSS ships here), I want to go the whole nine yards and build my own saber from the parts bought in ordinary shops, and make the parts I would otherwise buy here. So far I have had no problem in attaining them - except for the blade holder. As I have never seen one before, I have no idea how to make one! I know that it is thinner than the main tube and wider than the blade, but where exactly does the Luxeon + lens + heatsink fit into it? Is there some sort of lip on the inside that it is mounted on and screwed on to? And, finally, how is it secured to the overall piece?

Cheers.

Oh yeah, forgive my ignorance, but I have one more question. I know that blades are secured in the holder using a sawn-off thumbscrew, but doing it this way, wouldn't it push the blade against one side of the holder, leaving a gap between the other edge and the holder, or is the space between the holder and blade so minimal it can't be noticed?

Thanks.

And if anyone could very kindly give me the usual diameters of the blade holder, heatsink, blade and hilt, I'd be very grateful.

P.S. Could you please write in in extended form, example: three-quarters of an inch.

Thanks.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Making a blade holder is tough. It's best to just get one from Tim. He ships worldwide. I forget the tips on making one, Xwing or someone can chime in.

Oh yeah, forgive my ignorance, but I have one more question. I know that blades are secured in the holder using a sawn-off thumbscrew, but doing it this way, wouldn't it push the blade against one side of the holder, leaving a gap between the other edge and the holder, or is the space between the holder and blade so minimal it can't be noticed?
    The difference is basically nothing. You won't notice it at all.

And if anyone could very kindly give me the usual diameters of the blade holder, heatsink, blade and hilt, I'd be very grateful.

P.S. Could you please write in in extended form, example: three-quarters of an inch.
    Inner diameter of blade holder is one inch.
    Outer diameter is normally one and a half inches OR one and a quarter inches. It's your call on that one
    You want the blade to sink in the blade holder about two inches.

The blade outer diameter is normally one inch.
    The blade inner diameter is either three quarters of an inch or seven eighths of an inch

The hilt outer diameter is normally one and a half inches or one and a quarter inches. Your choice
    The hilt inner diameter varies greatly. It can be literally anything.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Thanks for your accomodation, I wasn't sure about the reception of newbies here.

I especially thank you for your measurements, as I sometimes have difficulty following the conventional markings (', " and so forth).

Finally, do you think it's possible to design a custom holder?

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Making a blade holder from scratch is difficult unless you've got a lathe and some experience. That's why Tim's parts are so convenient.

For future reference, try not to triple post. Just use the edit button.

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Ok, thanks for your advice, sorry about triple posting.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

The great thing about Tim's blade holders are that they do so many things

-blade holder
    -lens holder
    -heatsink

There are more, I'm just tired and forget at the moment.
    If I were you, I'd spend the extra money and get one of his. It will save you so many headaches.

To echo Lord Maul... there is nothing but GOOD THINGS to come of buying one of Tim's blade/LED/optics/heatsink mounts. I've said it to others, I'll say it again... they kill like 12 birds with one stone.

I agree that "making it all from scratch" can be cool, but... do yourself a BIG favor... pay the $20 or so (at the least) for a blade holder from TCSS... the parts are WELL worth their weight in gold.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Nova said it , Tims stuff is truly high quality, the MHS wipes the floor with the MR stuff, then again thats what I do to the cat if he decides to use my bed a as a toilet though, chasing him with a shoe keeps him out

I don't know...

If your NEW to TCSS READ HERE!! >>>>> http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d=1#post108682