Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: So whats the advantages of a Seoul P4?

Post So whats the advantages of a Seoul P4?

Hello everyone, i'v been trying to decide weather or not I should get a Seoul

P4? How bright are they and how well do they handle color disks? And what

are some good places (fast shipping) that sell them? Thanks!

MTFBWY

I woudl say if your looking into the WHITE LED... then a P4 is the only way to go..

I haventy wired mine up but every pic I have seen and every thread I have read boasts the awesome brightness of the mighty P4 with the same power requirements of a Lux III..

I think with a P4 some of the darker colors/filters that were too much for other whites will work better now..

I can't wait to try the P4 myself. Like xl97, I've seen pics of filtered P4s and they look impressive. The pics I've seen of luxIII (and even some k2) whites filtered were very...unimpressive. Actually, I was just browsing xwings site yesterday and he has a pic of an Anakin conversion using a P4 w/ a blue filter. It looked great.

I bought a White LED what and I have the discs as well.
    What do you all think about the discs colors? do they come out good or? thanks.
    -The force is my ally.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadeslinger View Post
    I can't wait to try the P4 myself. Like xl97, I've seen pics of filtered P4s and they look impressive. The pics I've seen of luxIII (and even some k2) whites filtered were very...unimpressive. Actually, I was just browsing xwings site yesterday and he has a pic of an Anakin conversion using a P4 w/ a blue filter. It looked great.
    That's actually a purple. The camera like to make it look blue.

IMO purple wasn't worth it until I went with a Seoul. Ambers were disappointing as ever because I wanted Yellow, Seoul's made that perfect.

Basically, it's a heck of a lot more output for your input. It's the same as a III electrically, but gives 4 times as much.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Default Xwing is right, more info

Yeah, as usual Xwing is right on the money. I just powered up my first Seoul P4 white this morning and I'm running it at 1 amp in my Proto3B lightsaber (the one with a red blade in my signature picture). First kneejerk reaction, it seems about as bright to the eyeball as a blue luxeon V at 1 amp. Which is actually pretty bright. I can EASILY say it's much brighter then a luxeon III or K2 white. Those are not even close. I think the red luxeon III and Green luxeon V still outdo it though. At least... that's what it seems like so far.

I not only got the Seoul P4 white, but I also got some tri-color LED's. With all 3 colors in 1 bulb actually, so it will work with our standard optics! I have not powered them up at full current yet, so I can't say how bright they are. I think each color is maxed at like 350mA or something. I did notice that all the silkscreen on the LED for + and - was reversed on all my LED's though

I think the Seoul P4 is currently the ONLY way to go for white+filters. I'll try to color match it to my red/green/blue luxeons and take some comparison videos. But first I can't wait to try it with purple... Mace Windu style baby!
    Edwin Tracy (Eandori)

- Official Plecter Labs USA station for repairs and firmware upgrades, Ultrasound soon!
    - Occasional completed Lightsabers for sale there!

Well, I've been trying the Seoul P4 a decent amount now. It for sure the brightest white LED I have used so far... but to my eyes it's not what I was hoping for. I'm using the TCSS and Plecter Labs filters that can be purchsed from those website + the Seoul P4 at 1 amp and although I do get the colors the blade is very dim once filtered still. The native color LED's are still by a longshot better then a filtered 240 lumen white.

For the colors you can't achive with luxeon (purple, yellow) Seoul P4 + filter does appear to be the best option. The Seoul P4 + amber filter might even give the luxeon III amber a run for it's money! But when pitted against the best Green/Red/Blue luxeons it loses badly.

If I had to take a shot in the dark guess... I would guess we need something around a 400 lumen of white LED + green filter to compete with what a Luxeon V green can do with no filter. Again, this is just a guess.

As a side note, I remember when I opened up the Mace Windu master replica I discovered that the purple blade was achived by having a red plastic filter over an over-driven blue string of LED's. Wanting to try the same thing I used some red filters on my blue luxeon V saber. The results were a royal blue shade, and no light coming out at all. I'm thinking there might be the "magic number" filter that works, but I just don't have that many filter options for red filter on blue LED.

I need to order that sample package of filters. What was it called again?
    Edwin Tracy (Eandori)

- Official Plecter Labs USA station for repairs and firmware upgrades, Ultrasound soon!
    - Occasional completed Lightsabers for sale there!

Quote Originally Posted by Eandori View Post
    I need to order that sample package of filters. What was it called again?
    They are Lee filters, I take it you mean the ones in the little yellow booklet ?

Hope this helps

I don't know...

If your NEW to TCSS READ HERE!! >>>>> http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d=1#post108682

Eandori-

Lee Filters shoudl still send you a sample swatch books (tons of colors)

you can also try to google liht filters.. I think I got some ATLAS ones and another brand. (I just look at their wedsites and see if hey send sample swatches out..most did..some wanted money though)

anyways.. if you cant find some.. let me know I have an extra.

Quote Originally Posted by Eandori View Post
    If I had to take a shot in the dark guess... I would guess we need something around a 400 lumen of white LED + green filter to compete with what a Luxeon V green can do with no filter. Again, this is just a guess.
    Looks like the P7 might be the current holy-grail for sabers then (assuming you can deal with it's steeper battery requirements (2800mA, 3.6-4.3V, 700-900 lumen).
    The lightsaber: An elegant weapon from a more civilized age...
    ... or the galaxy's best utility knife?