Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: RGB accent leds

Quote Originally Posted by LeMoel View Post
    What did this guy use? Those LEDs that TimeRender posted in this original thread or was it an RGB star? And does anyone have a configuration on how to set it up in a saber? I want to do this for mine!

Draconis, I don't know what they used for that blade, but it definitely WASN'T what I posted. The LEDs I posted are no where near that bright, I only mentioned them as an interesting alternative to the more standard accent LEDs. Most LEDs that come in chrome bezels are only red or green, but if you buy empty bezels (available on many websites including plecterlabs) your options are much more varied. I just purchased several RGBs and a few UVs for use on my next saber.

TimeRender, ok thanks... I must find out how that guy set up his sabers to change like that.. maybe I'll send a message to him on Youtube. If anyone on the boards knows, send a message to me, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter
    I bought those exact LEDs for that exact purpose, but now I'm going to use an RGB rebel for the crystal chamber instead... Supposedly, the rebels are WAY brighter at the same power level.
    Well... Upon further experimentation, the rebel is NOT brighter at low power levels.

I hooked up the RGB you have from unique-leds.com, and compared it to an RGB Rebel - both running at about 50mA - and the two were pretty comparable. If anything, the plain LED was a bit brighter. (But that may just be because the plain LED has a more focused beam.)

I haven't tried it at 100mA yet. I'm assuming the rebel will pull ahead. But if you are in a low current environment, the plain LED is just as good (and much less cost/hassle to mount) than the rebel. (Though the green on the rebel does have much better saturation.)

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

http://album.blog.yam.com/Lightsaber&folder=3759206

this is a presentation on how he makes his LED sabers, it's in chinese, but the pictures help. He fabricates LED strings. It's pretty neat, I kinda want to try it someday. They're way bright and obviously, chameleonic... (totally just made up that word)...

Quote Originally Posted by eastern57 View Post
    http://album.blog.yam.com/Lightsaber&folder=3759206

this is a presentation on how he makes his LED sabers, it's in chinese, but the pictures help. He fabricates LED strings. It's pretty neat, I kinda want to try it someday. They're way bright and obviously, chameleonic... (totally just made up that word)...
    That's the same guy? The one in the videos?? Makoto?? So he just strung those LEDs? Cool! I gotta do that for mine.. you know which LEDs he uses? Hmmmm.. how much power would you need to string 60 of those LEDs? So he just strung a bunch of RGB LEDs like that to make the one that changes color right? oh man!

Alright, Draconis and Eastern, please don't derail this thread any more. There are plenty of other places on the forum where you can discuss RGB blades, this thread is for information about RGB accent leds.

Hatter, thanks for the information! Just as a side note, for some reason my order from unique-leds was cancelled and my money refunded, so I had to buy my test RGBs from another source. I probably won't get my package now for about another week.