Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Anyone here not excited?

Spectre my list is almost the same as yours, but I have to say I would put Phantom menace higher than Return Of The Jedi. I just can't get past the ewok thing. Trite and shallow as TPM is, I think that it does show us what the jedi were like and what they cold do. Don't get me wrong Jar Jar is the single most annoying character in the star wars universe but I think ROTJ suffered,as you say, from being far too childish. Considering that it followed the darker tone set by The Empire Strikes back, where our heros firmly get their arses kicked, it would have been good if that darker feel could have been continued.

You know it's so funny that I started this thread because I completely forgot I did. I just read through it and I'm surprised that it started a flurry of discussion.

To me it really boils down to a few simple points:

1. George Lucas is one of my creative heroes- and despite the fact that I differ greatly with him on many creative points- he did create one of the best mythologies ever written.

2. I love Star Wars, plain and simple. As my friend wisely said. Star Wars is like Pizza. Some is great and some is bad, but in the end it's still Star Wars!

3. I think that I have taken all I can from the Saga, because with all 6 episodes complete -it's over. But what I think the best thing to do now as a fan, is to go forward with my own mythology that I have been creating for the past few years (my books) and go beyond what my hero has done before me.

They say that the best thing that a teacher can do is to have their students take what they've learned and push it further than their teacher could. Perhaps as fans that is the next step.

I'm just afraid that George Lucas will never get back to making those artsy experimental movies that he's been saying that he is going to make ever since Ep. III was finished. I want George Lucas to let Star Wars go, because it's time to. It's taken on it's own life. Let it be some one else's now. Give us the raw genius that THX. THAT is a filmmaker who I admire. THAT is someone I can root for! I still believe that he has it in him. Somewhere I still believe that he has that spark that gave us some of the best thrills of our lives.

I still believe. Maybe I shouldn't, but I do.
    Follow Your Bliss

did you just preform a thread necro on yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by psab keel View Post
    You know it's so funny that I started this thread because I completely forgot I did. I just read through it and I'm surprised that it started a flurry of discussion.

To me it really boils down to a few simple points:

1. George Lucas is one of my creative heroes- and despite the fact that I differ greatly with him on many creative points- he did create one of the best mythologies ever written.

2. I love Star Wars, plain and simple. As my friend wisely said. Star Wars is like Pizza. Some is great and some is bad, but in the end it's still Star Wars!

3. I think that I have taken all I can from the Saga, because with all 6 episodes complete -it's over. But what I think the best thing to do now as a fan, is to go forward with my own mythology that I have been creating for the past few years (my books) and go beyond what my hero has done before me.

They say that the best thing that a teacher can do is to have their students take what they've learned and push it further than their teacher could. Perhaps as fans that is the next step.

I'm just afraid that George Lucas will never get back to making those artsy experimental movies that he's been saying that he is going to make ever since Ep. III was finished. I want George Lucas to let Star Wars go, because it's time to. It's taken on it's own life. Let it be some one else's now. Give us the raw genius that THX. THAT is a filmmaker who I admire. THAT is someone I can root for! I still believe that he has it in him. Somewhere I still believe that he has that spark that gave us some of the best thrills of our lives.

I still believe. Maybe I shouldn't, but I do.
    here here

i like how for years Lucas has signed off on ideas and story points for the expanded universe books and then all of a sudden in the prequels all that is thrown out the door. Example i like.... before the prequels, the clonewars were started by a huge army of insane clones fighting againt the armies of the republic. Gone insane because in the cloning process the force affected them ( Like Joruus C'baoth ). Now here comes the prequels. the clones fight FOR the republic against an army of droids. I think it would of been better to call it the Separatist War. writers and fans have had to come up with all kinds of crazy ideas and plots to explain the older expanded universe books facts. Take the birth of the republic... in episode 2 the guy says "there hasnt been a full scale war since the formation of the republic." now all those old stories with the Republic being at least 25,000 years old and the stories about the Great Hyperspace War, the wars started by Freedon Nadd, Exar Kun, and Darth Revan can not have happened. So they came up with a story that the the Republic WAS 25,000 years old but 1,000 years ago the Republic went through a reform and was reborn after the War with Lord Kaan and his Brotherhood of Darkness.

Awesome Book and one of the best SW Books ever writen. but i hate that Star Wars history has had to be rewriten to suit Lucas's whims to further movie story plots. and dont get me started on the creation of the stupid midi-chlorians just so there is a way to measure Anakin's force potential....
    Last edited by Braxus; 07-20-2008 at 11:24 PM.

Sorry. George Lucas will not let Star Wars go because he's TERRIFIED to do anything else anymore.

Think about it: in the mid 70's culminating in 1977, he created something that is still so relevant that we're posting debates about it on a website dedicated to a relatively minor aspect of it in 2008. He's been spending his time since 1993 largely laying waste to that legacy - yet we all spend our sacagaweas to watch it and not only watch it, but to actually care about it. The new movie doesn't interest me at all. Still, that being said, I have little doubt that it will someday soon have carved out a place on my dvd shelf alongside my many copies of the original trilogy - in the many forms that have been released on dvd - as well as episodes 1-3, Gungans be damned.

We'll be lucky to see a man like George Lucas again. I look upon him as a cautionary tale. He created something great and then got drunk on the power that it bestowed upon him. Bill Watterson could have become the next Lucas. Unfortunately a little thing called integrity got in the way. Bill Watterson preferred to see his creation (Calvin & Hobbes) die rather than see it exploited. Lucas actively took part in the exploitation (see: ewoks, gungans, plush Yoda dolls) and yet we don't care. We're kind of fine with it. Myself included. To use his own vernacular, Lucas fell to the dark side long ago and we have all become part of his new empire.

I apologize for the heavy-handedness of all this. I hope I haven't dragged down things too much.

I suppose this is something that has been on my mind for some time, but I never really had an opportunity, or the right words for that matter, to voice my ideas.

I've had similar discussions with one of my best friend's about it.

I think it would be hard to let something so successful go. I don't think Lucas is all about money, like many jaded fans believe. I honestly think he loves his creation, and just can't see it go on its own.

It's hard to watch your heroes become too complacent. I would love to see what he could create if someone within his circle had the balls to stand up and tell him that even if one of his ideas was genius, that the way it was approached was not very good at all.

While its great that he has complete creative control, perhaps it is it's own evil. No one can say no to him, and that's not always a good thing. Constructive criticism is what makes better writers and artists.

I hope as an artist I never get to the point where I think that no one can tell me I can do better.
    Follow Your Bliss

Smile

No I didn't reply to my own thread to necro it. I was just surprised that the topic really took off the way it did.
    Follow Your Bliss

In the cantina drinkin' Colt 45's with Lando

wow I just read this whole thread and I gotta say, for dudes that play with lightsabers some of yall are pretty high strung hahahaha.

oh and a recap

Indiana Jones and the KOTCS- meh. I liked Shia LeBouf, Indys looking a bit tired but held up pretty well througout. Coulda used more in the plot section.

Dark Knight- not bad, kinda long, Heath Ledger was amazing. Too bad hes gone now. I dont like when Christian Bale speaks as batman... sounds like a pro wrestler, or Nathan Explosion or something. Kinda corny.

Clone Wars- excited. Im always excited about new SW stuff canon, EU whatever. I will be there opening night.

oh and saw a trailer for "The Watchmen" HOLY CRAP THAT LOOKS AWESOME.

DDD