Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jay-gon's Brass Saber 3-7 (MR Sound/Lux III's)

Default Jay-gon's Brass Saber 3-7 (MR Sound/Lux III's)

I don't know how much interest there is in these anymore, but I did some more work to Brass Sabers 4 & 5 today. I started by cutting the angle for the emitter shrouds:

I thne used my tubing cutter to cut off the shrouds from what will become the rear half of the hilt:

After that was done, I polished the shrouds, because I had the same issue as last time with the saw leaving burned edges on the cut, and when that was done, I used the tubing cutter to make the rear grip marks:

Next, I measured for the screw holes to mount the MHS adaptors:

I transferred that measurement to the brass tube:

I marked it with my exacto knife, by leaving a small scratch, and took it to the drill press and set it up to drill the hole:

After drilling the first hole in the brass tube, I slipped in the MHS adaptor and using it's pre-drilled and tapped holes as a guide, drilled straight through to the other side of the brass tube:

Doing it klike this ensures that the hole on the other side of the hilt will match up perfectly with the hole in the adaptor, making everything symmetrical.

See what I mean? I did them both while I had the set-up in the drill press. Here's what these two (three actually, the chrome hilt piece seen above is being worked on along with these two) will basically look like when done:

And while I was drilling holes, I decided to drill these for the switches as well. Here's how they turned out:

Now I have to play the waiting game on some parts from the store before I can complete these.

I have some leds on order, but haven't decided what colors I'll use in these....I also don't have any sound boards, so it may be awhile before these are completed.
    Last edited by Lord Maul; 01-26-2009 at 09:48 PM.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Looking good! I always love your brass sabers and brass sabers in general. I want to make one of my own someday. I may change the sinktube saber idea I had into a brass one.

Proud owner of the last two style 6 MHS blade holders!
    <('-'<)(>'-')><('-'<)<('-'<)(>'-')>(>'-')><('-'<)(>'-')>

Sith Minion
    Jedi Initiate

wow, I really like that idea. they look great, i've got a few small sections of mhs I might try that this weekend

I harnessed the energy of the yellow sun in one of my kryptonian crystals to power my lightsaber

No man stands so tall as when he kneels to help a child
    Mr. Abe Lincoln

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I think it's justified to say that you've rightfully earned the title of "Master of the Hardware Sabers" or "MOTHS"

...or something similar that actually sounds cool...

Very Nice I love how they are coming out, I am in the process of buying brass pieces to customize my 2 MR Jedi Joe Sabers and be able to make a Saber Staff out of them.
    " I am a Jedi like my Father before Me"
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Yea i'm gonna have to go look at brass as well!
    thanks great Idea's
    -The force is my ally.

Brass is purdy. Jay-gon, what do you suggest for keeping the brass clean outside of polishing it after every use? I've used a pretty solid 1 1/4" brass tube from online metals joining the MHS pieces on both ends with the 1.5" sink tube adapters. The brass is sweet for a while but quickly gets tarnished after handling. I sprayed it with a clearcoat but that didn't stick... it rubbed off after a while of use.

Well, the only way I've found to keep them shiny is to not touch them. The oils in our skin cause the tarnishing, so maybe put some gloves on, when wielding your saber? I've thought about using some clear laquer paint on some to see if that would help....other wise, I just use some Brasso on a soft cloth and clean them after use.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Hey Jay try Never Dull it's found in the auto department at Walmart it works great.
    Sith Happens

I have some already! I also have some Mother's mag and aluminum polish, which works really well, too.