Thread: Aurebesh Sound holes in MHS Pommel inserts

Question Aurebesh Sound holes in MHS Pommel inserts

I am thinking of cutting up a blank MHS pommel insert like this.....

Transfering Aurebesh letters to the insert----my initials probably- and then using a drill and dremel to cut the letters out for use as sound holes.

Kooky or cool? Also, thoughts on how hard this would be to do.

I was thinking of printing the letters from Word, taping the paper to the insert and roughing out the letters with a drill press. Then I can use a dremel with a carbind cutter to smooth them out. I have doubts about the steadiness of the BlackDOG paws to do this......

Other ideas....

bd
    J.
    TK/TB/ID 8286
    501st Pathfinders Lancer
    Carolina Garrison- 501st Legion
    Blue Ridge Base- Rebel Legion
    BlackDOG across the SW forums galaxy......

man that would rock, if you end up not getting it steady enough you could always find someone to laser cut it too, but I love the idea!
    edit; if you have a laser printer, reverse the image and print it on matte photo paper... then soak it in water for a while, stick the letters ink side down on the insert and run an iron over it. this will transfer the ink onto the metal. make sure to keep the paper wet, after that gently rub the paper off, leaving the ink(just like making a pcb) this will be better than holding the paper in place, then i would do it just like you planned, hope to see this done man, you may start a new trend with this!
    Last edited by Dark Helmet; 04-29-2008 at 09:29 PM.
    If you refuse to bridge the gap, You will always be on the other side.

In the cantina drinkin' Colt 45's with Lando

I think that would work just fine... though I would do a stencil and actually mark the letters on the piece with a sharpie or something like that cause the letters taped on there would get easily torn and then you would be without a guide... the carbide cutter is pretty good for this but make sure you do a bunch of super shallow passes over it till its cut out (im sure you know this though!! hahah) the only thing I would watch out for is the tendancy for the cutter to get caught up and go flying over the top of your work making nice scratches everywhere...

once they are cut out get your jewelers files out and clean it up and biggity bam! Aurabesh initials... I know you can do it! Slow and steady as they say!

DDD!

make sure you have some FILES on hand.. dremel + drill cutting will NOT leave you will a quality end product.. IMHO..

to be honest though.. I havent cut an insert before..just brass & well chromed brass..LOL

tip: cut on the INSIDE of your lines & corners.. and file OUT to the desired stencil/size

Ok...this is not something I would put on my spiffy MHS saber "Redemption." This is more a proof of concept, trial and error, give it a try sorta thing.

But I started out by printing the letters. Font size is 18...this was based on the look of the letters

Then I taped them to the MHS insert. They are arranged in circular fashion facing out.

I drilled the holes by chucking the drill bit way up in the chuck and bringing the table really close. Thin bits tend to walk or deflect under pressure so I gave it less wiggle room and went SLOW.

The tape and paper method was OK. I had not read the responses above before trying this, they wouel have worked better probably. I had thought I would score the outside of each letter (outline fashion) with an x-acto, but for this first test, I just drilled :P

I bought a Dremel Stylus (on sale for $24.00) to get a little more control. I opted for a engraving cutter for the size of the tip.......I have a full size variable dremel with the flex attachment, but the styluz was on sale.....it would not be good for many dremeling operations, but for this, given the small size I think its going to work OK. Anyhow, its charging and I'll post after trying the cutter.

Thanks for the input.

bd
    Last edited by BlackDOG; 04-30-2008 at 10:48 AM.
    J.
    TK/TB/ID 8286
    501st Pathfinders Lancer

awesoem job.. always love the DIY'ers on the board..

You could put a superbright LED in the hilt between the speaker and the pommel, then your letters would glow. Just a thought.

Glowing letters.......that would be kinda pimped out...Like one of them there Flange sabers.
    J.
    TK/TB/ID 8286
    501st Pathfinders Lancer

I find that the grout cutting bit works wonderful on soft metals.

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-569D-16...587351&sr=1-16

Quote Originally Posted by thebluecanary View Post
    I find that the grout cutting bit works wonderful on soft metals.

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-569D-16...587351&sr=1-16
    No Kidding? Wow...I'll have to try one. Slow going with the other bit.....

bd
    J.
    TK/TB/ID 8286
    501st Pathfinders Lancer