Thread: Question concerning thermal tape

Default Question concerning thermal tape

I've read recently that people have had leds burn out due to contact with the heatsink.

It this true for all Lux IIIs? I have a green and a royal blue and didn't use any tape and so far I am fine. Or is this for the red and red-orange colors?

Thanks, just when you think you have a handle on things.....

it happened to me 2 weeks ago, i got a new led and tried to use heatsink paste and got another short... thank god for li-ion pcb's... def use the heatsink tape on luxIII's and seoul p4's
    edit, this was a red-o, it worked for a good while first, the it kept shorting out before it died...the new one (since removed) shuts down the battery but that will only last a week or so before it gives up the ghost. maybe it is just th 1400ma types, but better safe than getting shut down on an $8 part that will kill a $200+ saber, rendering it into a belt hanger. how long have you had that one going?
    Last edited by Dark Helmet; 04-25-2008 at 07:57 PM.
    If you refuse to bridge the gap, You will always be on the other side.

I've had it going for almost a month. I have used a green and a royal blue only and haven't had any problems. Now I will definately use the tape on my wife's red saber I'm building in the next 2 weeks.

I didn't have a problem at all so far, but came across the mention of thermal tape while reading a few posts and was just a little concerned that I'm eventually going to blow the led.

if you go to www.ledtech.de you can get thermal tape in the star shape, you get 6 per order so it would be worth it to use it on both, but it sounds like yours is fine (I would throw it in anyway) but DEF put it on Her led, otherwise it will die in a few days (well, maybe) but disappoint a woman once, and it's not worth hearing about for the next 6 months, better get the thermal tape lol.
    If you refuse to bridge the gap, You will always be on the other side.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

The Red family of LEDs are built differently with a ground to the base of the star. So sometimes they like to ground out the base plate and go poof...
    RED LEADER Standing by!