Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Force lightsaber activation with RFID

Looks like I am going to abandon RFID for this project and go with a capacitive touch switch instead. The only RFID reader I can find that is small enough has an extremely short read range (1.5"-2") with the tags I need to use.

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you it will.

Ryma Mara

Ok I know this topic is old as hell but iam cureious.

did anyone ever get the idea to work?

I just seen this on that pimp my ride show. what they did was used a magnetic switch. How big are thoes types of switches and would it be possable to use them.

stick a magnet in say a glove or a belt somewhere so when you pass it close by it turnes on.

not only would it make a sweet switch but also a safty tool. to where sence the magnet will only turn it on so it would make recharging safer so you know its not gonna accidently turn on and do god knows what happens to a saber thats being charged.

Ryma,

You might be mixing up a magnetic switch idea with RFID... but both are possible.

As to RFID... this is very possible, although I don't know what kind of size saber you'd need in order to fit all of the components wanted.

RFID is a simple concept. In the "air", there is a tiny, tiny, tiny amount of energy/voltage floating around freely out there. It harnesses that energy just long enough to transmit a signal a VERY short distance. You can send a string (array) of characters... in other words, a signal.

A friend of mine who began a company in the SJ/SF bay area called "TechShop" (who also worked on MythBusters) explained to me how you could even conceivably install a small "chip" or pellet into whatever you like--a glove, a ring, or whatever, and have an object pick up the signal.

This is similar to "card scan" facilities where you pass your card "nearby" to the scanner--and it reads you in. You don't need a laser scanner or anything else.

HOWEVER, you would indeed need to have a driver card that can "ignore" the RFID signal info after turning the saber on in order to drive the saber for light, sound, etc. You know--avoid inadvertent radio noise.

Finally--I've no idea how you would want to configure the saber to go off... would it:

1. Shut off when you drop it?
    2. Shut off with a separate button altogether?
    3. Whatever else you can think of.

If you released your hand from your saber more than about seven inches--it would probably shut off. That might not be bad at all though.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

It never got past the planning stage, and I still haven't completed my saber.