Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Force lightsaber activation with RFID

My only concern is that I can't find an RFID reader small enough with a longer read distance than 25cm. I like to toss my lightsabers around when I'm playing with them, and I don't think 12" is enough. I could always make a delay circuit for turning it off so I have a few seconds that I can hold it further than that.

I had a hard time finding the right transistor. The chip can't handle the power that the LED needs, so you need to use a transistor as a kind of relay.

MC

You want to go home and re-think your life

You could have a touch sensor activate a holding circuit(relay) then a normally closed momentary switch to turn it off. Could have cool uses and the you would not have to stay in contact with touch sensor. It would be great for a Windu style handle.

Ed

You're starting to sound like you're making a Force-Touch(tm) actvation switch system from Parks sabers []

I prefer "force untouched"... to avoid legal issues. How does theirs work? I'm not familiar with their stuff.

I believe I'm going to take the plunge and try this out in my first saber.

Triggering through a relay is what I was going to say as well. E-ronin beat me to it, I may go ahead and order one and play with a few combinations.

Been looking around... Parallax, the people who make the BASIC Stamp module, have an RFID reader board out. Only downside is that the board is 2.5" by 2.9". It would be rad if they had a board that was small enough, and was able to use an external antenna. Back to looking, I suppose.

You know it's funny because I got one of Parks's only designs that doesn't use the Force Touch(tm) system. I dunno how it works but all you gotta do is put your finger on the thing for a second and it turns on, but I hear that it sometimes turns off too easily and that really annoys some people. Frankly the button switch on mine annoys me enough so you're probably screwed if you get a Parks(lol I shouldn't say that, they do good work).

I found some cool info on RFID at:
    http://www.rfidtoys.net

I don't know much about RFID but I know it has some creepy apps...

VIrus 692-
    Life Liberty and the prusuit of insainaity

Yeah, I saw that site, and actually bought Amal's book through Amazon a couple days ago to get some ideas on how to make this all work.

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you it will.