Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Force lightsaber activation with RFID

Default Force lightsaber activation with RFID

Hey guys, this is my first post here. I did a search just in case I hadn't seen something like this posted. Anyway, here's my idea.

There seem to be a lot of people getting RFID implants recently, and I thought for a second about alternative uses for these besides opening doors/car doors/whatever else. The first thing that came to mind was activating a lightsaber when your hand is close enough to it. It'd require another power switch so your lightsaber doesn't turn on every time you walk past it, but I think it'd be a cool addition. Has anybody tried this? It would definitely be less intrusive to do a proof of concept with the transmitter in a watch or wristband of some type.

What do you guys think?

how about one that activates with The Clapper?

"Size matters not. Look at me! Judge me by my size do you? And well you should not! For my ally is the force, and a powerful ally it is!"

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Over on ASAP a few of the trek oriented guys wanted to use the magnetic switches they used on the tricorders to activate a saber without a button. As far as I know no one did it though...

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>

They also have capacitive touch switches like used in those lamps you just have to touch to turn on. That would be cool too.

Actually, I think bazuka's idea is much more practical, and probably less expensive. However, it's an avenue that I, myself, will probably never go down, simply due to the problems that will occur in trying to wire it all up. I get a headache just dealing with the current wiring techniques, let alone new ones.

Best of luck to you folks!

I did some experimenting with touch switch technology. But I couldn't get it to work the way I wanted it to. Maybe some of you with a better grasp of elecronics can give it a whirl. Here's the specs for the chip I purchased - you can also buy a small experimentation board from these people (Quantam Reesearch).

http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/Quantum%20Research/Webdata/QT110,%20QT110H%20(QProx).pdf

MC

You want to go home and re-think your life

What a cool idea, i could have used this on my current design instead of trying to make a Micro Dpdt Switch merge(skip headache see Migrain) with a Graflex Pushbutton( it could have just been for show).

May the Force
    Be with You

Marc E.

Apologies,
    Try this link...

http://www.qprox.com/products/qtouch.php

MC

You want to go home and re-think your life

What kind of issues did you have? I installed somthing like this for building controls a few years ago and I remember it was pretty neat stuff. I was thinking about building my first el-saber with a switch like this since my pole lamp in the livingroom has a 3-way touch sensor in it, and everytime I turn it on I think hmmm.