Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Interactive Saber Builder

Default Interactive Saber Builder

ok..so a while back I had mentioned about working on an interactive saber builder..

something to play with for fun..
    keep track of parts list
    keep track of price/totals maybe

I started to work on it a little bit today.. taking the base framework from another project I did..

before I go further..

was wondering if there are any other parts/sections that I missed or you think SHOULD be there/separated?

Im also open to graphics.. its not very space/star wars/tech liek at the moment.. just kind of clean & minimal

things like:

a BG image for the NAV link could be skinned/themed
    frames/bezels around the section parts (sub nav at bottom) could be changed
    the BG can be swapped/themed
    the scrolling buttons/arrows..

Im hoping I can some more done on it soon...once done and the logic laid out.. adding new images and details will as easy as adding it to a text (XML) file.

http://dmstudios.net/demos/saberBuilder/

as I see it now.. when you click one of the parts form the bottom options..

I will either attach a draggable part to the stage for you to place.. or it will be attached to your mouse when you click on the part for you to drag immediately..

(my only concerns is 'stacking/layering' (depth) order...) ??

feedback appreciated.

thanks

Well I tested it out and only the center sections show up and I cant place the part/s anywhere.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Looks good so far. Know of anyway to make it 3d viewable once the design is complete? If someone could figure that out I would be willing to pay for it.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Portsmouth... The real Portsmouth in the UK :D.

You'll probably need either a larger workspace, or a scrollable window, I know for certain that my next saber hilt is going to be about 20" in length . Other than that though you have a good layout there. Perhaps you could have the sections menu slide in from the side when you move your mouse over it? It would free up more space on the screen for you.

"At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi, at last we shall have a cup of tea and a nice chat"

(Well what did you expect? I am English after all )

Force Aware

Looks like a good design so far. I would think that clicking on a part should put it on the drawing board. Then you could move the part around that way.

Its not very far along.. but it will get there.. LOL

Yes the parts (images) will be on the stage and draggable once you pick it form the bottom.. (just havent gotten that far).. that parts (images) used for both the 'options' at the bottom, and the MAIN parts that will eventually get dragged around will only be as good as the images anyone can provide me...

so far I just been 'hacking' together images from the (Tim's) store.. (for the part/section options portion)

for the MAIN (left) nav/menu.. are there any other sections anyone thinks we should have?

also.. its takes some time to get images and crop them.. not hard.. just time consuming.. so I'll get to it when I can.. my first priority would is the 'engine/code' part.

it was going to be based on this:

www.digitialbikebuilder.com

but since its not really the same.. I had to re-code ALOT of it.. (ie: for motorcycles, you only get 1 frame, 1 tank, 1 rear fender....etc.. but for sabers, you can have 3 'mid-sections', 50-orings, and who knows what.)

Tim-

hi, nope.. sorry, Flash doesnt really 'do' 3D..

however we might be able to fake something, if someone can make a simple vector 3D model of each part.. in say Swift 3D or something.... and piece it together? Im reaching.. Id really have to look into it..

but I can add prices..etc..etc if you wanted.. (or you could..whatever.. you know what I mean)

if you look at the bike builder DEMO, you can print out the build (might be disabled currently)

you can see all your chosen parts.. (print that out too I believe)

save your build..and load it back up later.. (no database needed) SO NO EXTRA DB COSTS OR STRESS..

you can also get an estimate emailed to the owner of the app with all parts/prices and comments.. or extra..etc..

SWAT-

I could do a scrollable work space.. and the rule was just for visual appeal.. but I guess we COULD get a REAL 'ruler' and then make ALL parts/images used scaled by that standard? (up to you guys)

I think most sabers will HAVE to be built horizonatally just be default monitor design.. so more space horz is what we need....no?

also, if you look at the bike builder app... you see there is a LOCK parts option..if you check it.. you can move the whole build at once..

but if everyone hates the options be loaded at the bottom.. Im open I suppose.. LOL

(logo too I just copied a previous one I had done..and changedit.. also a 'plaque/sign' above the parts list image would be nice.. )

thhumbnail images shoudl be NO larger than hmm..63x63 or something.. so if anyone wants to make some..

I named them accodring.. hilt_1.jpg hilt_2.jpg ..... 2_extension.jpg

(.jpg, gif's & .png's are all acceptable)..

nothing is better than a community effort.. so if there are some grahpics...extras..etc..etc whatever.. dont be afraid to post it..

Thanks

Sith Minion
    Jedi Initiate

wow sounds awesome, what is the ETA on a final version? i've been using paint for awhile now but to be able to figure pricing and everything that would be even greater. I have a few images you might be able to use of some custom pieces and others I will try to post and see what you think. And the same with Hasid, I couldn't get the parts to stick and all I got was center sections.
    Last edited by DARTH KALEL; 04-24-2008 at 07:13 PM.

I harnessed the energy of the yellow sun in one of my kryptonian crystals to power my lightsaber

No man stands so tall as when he kneels to help a child
    Mr. Abe Lincoln

Force Aware

Quote Originally Posted by xl97 View Post
    however we might be able to fake something, if someone can make a simple vector 3D model of each part.. in say Swift 3D or something.... and piece it together? Im reaching.. Id really have to look into it..
    We have a couple of people in the community that could probably vector the parts. I don't have that much experience in Blender 3d but I could try to work on something...

you should let me look into it more before you waste any time to be honest..

Im sure I could display and play any 3D rotation of "A" part... but Im not quite sure how I would get all 3D parts to render/turn as one...

it would almost mean the saber choice would need to be rendered as a whole unit ya know?

maybe a 3D display that is rotatable in a preview panle or somethign when you choose a part? but the whole thing, again Im un sure of..

hopefully if I get some time today.. I'll try and work on getting anothr section done of emitters/blade holders

and maybe the pommels..

then I can start trying to get the duplicated & keep part count/price.. on the stage.

again any links to graphics or ideas you want incporated are helpful too.

good work there, this is awsome. Keep us all updated
    Any idea as to when a fully working version may be released?