Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Info about 10W LedEngin Green LED (A couple of pics)

Default Info about 10W LedEngin Green LED (A couple of pics)

I don't have a bunch of time, but wanted to shoot up a couple of pics. I will try to get a comparison show with whatever LED blades I can get a hold of, but for now I tried just doing some from a distance so maybe you can guage the "throw" of the light and get some idea from that.

2X 700 MA Buckpucks @ 9.6V driving the LED Engin 10W green LED on MCPCB (Star) using a K2 Optic assembly. BIN number unknown.... Mouser didn't include any specific info about it.

Observations... hot enough after 20 minutes I turned it off to cool for a while. I don't think it was melty hot, but I tried to hold on to it tightly and got to a count of 15 before having to let go for fear of an actual burn. Cooled down OK in like 5 minutes.

Using a sink tube adapter, and MHS type 1 emitter/blade holder. It really does a great job pulling the heat out to the tube! The back end of the tube is warmish, as you get closer to the emitter it gets hotter. As above... I don't think I'm in any danger of melting anything, but it's hot enough I started worrying about the health of the LED. Livable... with some common sense.

Visually... it's a lot brighter than my memory of my red Lux III, but it has a better blade design, is a different color and I haven't seen the red one in over a year, LOL.

In a fully lit room, it's bright. In the dark, it almost hurts. Outside on an overcast day (But full day) it looks good, but not great. I haven't had a chance to see what full daylight is like.

Ummm... more to come? Any questions so far?

wow thats bright

Wow. That is bright.

My two concerns would be heat and battery life. If this sucker is pulling a decavolt, that's gotta be killing the battery, unless you've got some serious mAh on it. (Granted, I'm still learning the whole "electronics" thing, so take that as you will.) The other concern is heat. Sure, for a lot of the time, 20 minutes is plenty. But at major cons (Dragon*Con, I'm looking at you!) you might want or need the saber on for longer periods of time. If the holder is that warm to the touch after that long, I'd wonder if there's not a way to cool it more. Maybe drill out some holes around the blade holder right above the LED to get more air flow? (I'm pretty sure liquid cooling isn't an option here. )

I FREAKIN Love this, now that is bright!! Need... To.. get... 10 watt green with CF v4!!!

I don't know...

If your NEW to TCSS READ HERE!! >>>>> http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d=1#post108682

Sith Minion
    Jedi Initiate

actually I think it's perfect, i'm not worried about heat at all, hardly ever leave it on for more than 20 30 mins. i'm trying to do a p7 on a mcpcb and custom filters I really like the green too, such a break from the normal blue. My p4 will be yellow and I got a p7 that will be purple.

I harnessed the energy of the yellow sun in one of my kryptonian crystals to power my lightsaber

No man stands so tall as when he kneels to help a child
    Mr. Abe Lincoln

If thats a U bin, its pumping out more then 700 Lumens!!

Eandori, we need a bigger heat sink idea!

I don't know...

If your NEW to TCSS READ HERE!! >>>>> http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d=1#post108682

Portsmouth... The real Portsmouth in the UK :D.

Here's an idea... If you use a 4"-7" double-female extension piece with holes drilled at both ends (for airflow), with one of THESE sandwiched in the middle using a couple of pieces of PVC sink tube or glue to hold it in place, would that be sufficient to reduce the heat? Being 20x20x10 I think it would fit easily too (probably a bit loose to be honest!).

As it's only a 5v / 400mAh fan you'd only need a resistor to wire it to the battery, and I'd imagine any noise the fan might make would be drowned out by the saber itself (even though it does run at 5000rpm ).

"At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi, at last we shall have a cup of tea and a nice chat"

(Well what did you expect? I am English after all )

Not a bad idea, but remember -this is a 10v LED. Which means that you're trying to pull 15v out of a 9.6v battery. You might be able to do it with buckpucks (I think), but if it worked at all, it would murder the battery.

man I wouldnt try a purple filter with 700 lumen led,it will just wash it out, ive tryed an led at 350-400 lumens and it just washed most of my filters out. You should purchase an R bin seoul like xwing has been talking about. 300 luemens, would be perfect

Quote Originally Posted by LeMoel View Post
    man I wouldnt try a purple filter with 700 lumen led,it will just wash it out, ive tryed an led at 350-400 lumens and it just washed most of my filters out. You should purchase an R bin seoul like xwing has been talking about. 300 luemens, would be perfect
    What sorta LED was that? Seoul? And what did you use to get 350-400 lumen?
    Last edited by Malaki Skywalker; 04-24-2008 at 06:40 AM.

I don't know...