Thread: Cut threading

Default Cut threading

I want to make a screw together hilt - it's been mentioned a bit in the store wish list and ovbiously the modular hilt system uses this -and was wondering how one would go about cutting threads in 2 pieces of steel pipe to make them screw together. I would go modular but I prefer stainless steel and to have control over length parts and such.

I'm going to contact my black smith but I was wondering if there were any requirements as far as tube thickness and such and if it is an expensive process.

Less talk, more action........

I am no expert but I would think that you would probably need at least an 1/8" of material to cut some threads into. you would need a machinist to do it though because of the accuracy needed for the fine threads. the threads would probably be about 1/16" deep with a 1/16" of material left for support. You could also use a pipe threader for plumbing but I have found that you need a lot thicker material to withstand the cutting forces. Also, it gives you a tapered cut. This means that it will fit fine as you start but will get tighter as you screw it on further untill it finally stops usually with threads still exposed on the pipe.