Thread: Need Electronics Housing Ideas

Default Need Electronics Housing Ideas

Hi guys.

Im just wondering what some of you use to house your electronics inside your hilts securely. Im going to start making my first saber and need some ideas. i dont have alot of tools so simple stuff is really what im looking for but would also love to see some of the real fancy stuff too. feel free to show off your ideas here too.

One that i like and would love to have is one that i saw on Erv's site displaying his force feedback sensor mounted. Very Clean. Here:

I'ld love to know what you made your Crystal Chamber from. (I think I can guess, but its always nice to know).

Quote Originally Posted by thebluecanary View Post
    I'ld love to know what you made your Crystal Chamber from. (I think I can guess, but its always nice to know).
    He didn't make the crystal chamber featured in that pic, Erv from Plecter labs built it.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    He didn't make the crystal chamber featured in that pic, Erv from Plecter labs built it.
    yea i was just admiring it. wish i knew how he made it too

I e-mailed erv a while ago asking him what he used to make it, Erv said he made it out of plastics discs machined out of plasticard (ebay) and aluminium rods (threaded). Crystal held with 2 LED bezels. if you look at the pic closely there's even a slot cut out to get the SD card out. If you see erv's gralfex saber then you can see how he did the speaker. I was going to use something like this for my graflex. (found the pic)

does anyone have pictures of their Electronics Chassis? Would love to see what some of you have used and made. ive read alot of threads that talk about what to use but no pics.

Braxus,

If you are looking for cheap, you could follow the tutorial on Erv's website. All it requires is a Dremmel some chrome tube, and a hot glue gun. It works pretty well for me. I would show but the camera is fritzin'. No offense to any one named Fritz.
    Darth Fender
    Sith Lord

You over estimate my FLOWERS!

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Here's what I did for my Enigma saber:

I designed it so that I just take out the thumb screw, and the whole thing slides out for easy access.

Inner tube is 1 1/4" aluminum from a vacuum cleaner. I lined it with some thin plastic, to provide a protective layer.

The sink tube adapters in the store have an ID of 1 1/4", and an OD of slightly less than 1 1/2", so that a 1 1/2" tube just slides over it. The smaller copper I used to hold the switches is some stuff I picked up that is just slightly loose on the 1 1/4" aluminum, so two small bolts & nuts secure it on the bottom.

The brass screw behind the switches is just decorative. I drilled a hole in the copper there by mistake, so I cut the head off a screw and glued it in.

I just used painter's tape to hold everything in place, because I plan to rip it all out and put in a CF when it arrives.

I should tell you that with the extra tube, and the extra copper, this is a heavy saber. It's probably 1 1/2 times the weight of my MHS saber.

Hope that gives you some ideas.
    Last edited by Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie; 04-20-2008 at 01:27 PM.

thats awsome Gnomie. Very clever making it so easy to get access the the electronics with the one screw. i wish i could come up with something simple yet ingenious.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Feel free to copy it if you like.