Thread: Does this look right?

Default Does this look right?

I bought the MR build your own saber kit to get the sound card, now I have some cool parts left over. I wanted to make an RGB saber using the 1 watt star it came with. I plan to direct drive the star with 2 batteries. I have 3 small SPST latching switches I am gonna use. The red will be over driven, after talking to a friend he recommended adding a resistor 2.7 ohm 0.5 watt. That should bring it down so I can mix colors without the red overpowering. Is there anything else I need to do?

"I cannot change the past. I meant to do good. But the dark side is slippery, as you yourself should know. I tried to hide. I tried to die. And finally, I tried to atone." - Ulic Qel-Droma

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

If you turn only one on at a time your logic is correct. If you turn more than one on you are changing the circuit and the leds would be dim or not work I think.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Grayven has a fantastic tutorial on this using a dip switch. You may want to give it a look over.

I do know this much, when I strapped 2 batteries together and touched the wires to them, I went blind for a moment. It didn’t seem to dim at all as I touched 1, 2 and even all 3 wires.
    WHAT THE %*#& IS AN ALUMINIUM FALCON?!

It looks right to me. The circuit doesn't really change, well... as long as the batteries are capable of driving all 3 LEDS at the same time.

If the batteries can't support the current of all 3 running at the same time it would dim as each one was turned on.

I think you'd probably see the opposite... it gets brighter with each one you turn on.