Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: a REAL lightsaber

Default a REAL lightsaber

All the time when I tell my friends that I have a realistic looking lightsaber they ask me if it will cut something. That said I would like to share my thoughts on how to build a real lightsaber with all the properties from the movies.

Ok the fisrt par is a retractable beam that would cut something. In france they have a meter long plasma toarch, so the cuting ability is possible. Next is shaping the blade. This could be done by using a magnetic field to contain the plasma in a rod like shape. Saber colour would depend on the gas being used for the plasma, since plasma is an ionized gas, different gases would give you different colours. The hardest part is creating a portable power source, since you would need over 100000V this is almost imposible.

Well thats how I would make a real lightsaber. I would like your input on this or if anyone has some other ideas plaese share them.

Is that your lightsaber or are you happy to see me?

I've seen this idea before. Some scientists say it's the only way to make a lightsaber.

So theoretically, it could work.

I too saw this concept online and took it to my physics teacher who said it was possible. the only problem is the power source.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Exactly, We'd need to basically convert the energy that the whole country uses in one second and squish it into a hilt. Yeah... not happening soon. We don't know how to control magnetic fields yet either.

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>

i read once an article of this subject. everything is possible except the power source. it said youd have to be hooked up with a cable to a power source as large as a big entertainment center. i dont think youd big luggin that around, lol.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

The power source isn't the only problem. Plasma really isn't the same as a ultra-powerful laser that terminates at a given distance (such as 3 feet). And a plasma torch just isn't the same anyway. And it still wouldn't be powerful enough to give it the excalibur-like properties that lightsabers seem to have in the movies. If we were even close technologically, then the government would have soldiers lugging these things around, cutting open enemy equipment. Lightsabers are definitely fantasy. In fact, I could see a future where some type of fission battery is created, but not where a laser blade is ever achieved. It defies the known properties of how light behaves.

desertscorpion, there are different types of plasma, and yes it would have the same properties as the movie sabers. and you could shape it like a lightsaber blade by using a magnetic field. Now if you had read the ENTIRE first post you would know that, unless you disagree with some of the best physics experts on the web.
    []

Given enough time & money almost anything can be made, but the real question is it practical

Do-Clo
    Don't make me destroy you...

Yeah, I'd like to know. What's that web link?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by The Plague

desertscorpion, there are different types of plasma, and yes it would have the same properties as the movie sabers. and you could shape it like a lightsaber blade by using a magnetic field. Now if you had read the ENTIRE first post you would know that, unless you disagree with some of the best physics experts on the web.
    []

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

desertscorpion
    After rereading my post it sounded hostile to me so for that I am sorry, as for the link I used google and I can't find the site, but trust me it is out there. As Do-Clo said it is not that it is impossible just not practical.