Thread: Newb question about battery power...

Default Newb question about battery power...

Building and wiring my first lightsaber, and had a question about powering things...

Would the 7.2V 800mAh Li-ion Rechargeable battery pack be enough to power a LuxV at it's brightest, a soundboard like the CF 3, and a 2 standard LED's? I realize that being only 800mAh, it would last like 15 minutes, but size is the limiting factor here :P If not, what would I need to power those items?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yes, it would be enough power... and, yes, it would look cool for those 15 minutes.

It will last longer than 15 min, in the range of over an hour.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

My luxV was giving over an hour with a 700ma puck, but for about a month I ran it directly from the battery, I got about 30-35 minutes from it. The biggest problem I had without the puck was that it would get too hot to hold after about 10 minutes....there does come a point where you don't get any brighter, you just generate more heat. a good mix with that battery is a 1000ma puck, you get an overdriven luxV, better heat management, and decent runtime. If you have a cf3 then it will actually help out quite a bit with power management since the led will have the "flicker" effect. but if space is an issue that is a great way to go.

EDIT: if you ever plan to use MR sound, you will need to regulate the voltage to the board, you can get a 7805 5v regulator at radio shack for $2, otherwise that battery will destroy it. as far as the accent leds, you wouldn't notice that they were even there, they use very little power if you use the proper resistor, but if it were still a concern you could "underdrive" them a bit.
    Last edited by Dark Helmet; 04-14-2008 at 10:47 PM.
    If you refuse to bridge the gap, You will always be on the other side.

Withmyold corbin mr setup my yellow accent led was just as bright as my lux and it was resistored on the origional mr leads.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Thanks for all the replies guys! This helps out a lot Now just have to wait for him to get them in stock ^_^