Thread: boring, honing & sanding ?'s

Default boring, honing & sanding ?'s

what do you guys use to hone or bore out the inners of your sink tubes..etc..etc

not that I want to take much out..just a nice sanding.. open it up a SMIDGE so some parts slide through a little better..

I looked for a sanding drum but I 1.5 wont fit obviously as the WHOLE tub is 1.5 and 1.25 is too small..

so do I just take a 1.25 sanding drum and try it?..or do I try to craft my own some how? using padding, tape and sand paper on outside??

also,, what do you guys use to sand the inside of the blades?
    also what do you use for LONG shanks to make it all the way up and down the tube?

thanks

Sand Paper, a wooden rod or PVC, and lots of time. Or you can tape that puppy up to a cordless drill and goto town as well. Works when you can't get into the space with the dremel.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

If you're willing to invest a bit more money and less time (except possibly shipping) a cylinder hone is amazing. They're meant to spring a bit so a 1.5" hone will still be good.

Another cheaper option is flap wheels. They have them for drills and dremels. It's basically the same idea.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

hey xwing-

never seen a cyclinder hone before.. link? wouldnt be the same as you use for homing out a motorcylce cylinder would it?

do you think a flap wheel would do the trick?

also.. for sanding the inners of a poly blade? what do you guys use for long shanks to reach the length of the tube/blade?

thanks

You might want to look for a brake cylinder hone. Engine cylinder bores are typically 3-4" in diameter, where a slave cylinder from a drum brake is 1-1.5" in diameter. I used to have one I used at work to clean up the bore on a punch every time I had to replace a broken retaining pin.

This is what they look like: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003a

Yoiu should be able to get one from most any automotive parts store. They aren't designed to remove massive amounts of material so if you need to remove a lot, might want to look at a sanding flap disc.

I needed to make a special flap disc once for a project. I used a 3/4" wooden dowel than I sanded the end down to fit inside my 1/2" drill chuck. On the other end, I used a dremel to cut a slit about 1/2" deep in. Then I cut sandpaper into 1/2" x 3" strips and slid a couple at a time into the slot and made a real cheap version of a flap disc. You have to replace the sandpaper often, but it did work. I imagine you could something similar with a longer dowel for the inside of a blade.

awesome ideas... thanks

a long wodden dowel (DUH) I just wasnt thinking I suppose..

thats agreat use for a shank.. (since it isnt really for support but length)

and I dont think I need to remove much material.. usually just to smoth them out..

and I thnk on this brass tubing I got maybe a little material..instead of just a smoothing)

Thanks off to check out link now.