Thread: artistic help...

Default artistic help...

I've been etching, to test it out lately, and i have actually impressed myself with the outcome.i then posted the pics, after which i got a lot of great input, mainly the input that probably kept me out of a hospital ( yeah, web instructions say it's safe) good thing people in this forum are willing to tell me when I'm wrong. that said, i need some artwork to go onto a hilt, i was going to do some vines etc, but then i thought about how artistic the ppl here really are. i want to HEAVILY ENGRAVE a 4" piece to add to my new saber. so any input is well worth trying, it needs to be b&w, and the same demensions as the 4" mhs part. i know this is kind of a d-bag move to ask you guys, but if you have anything i would love to try it.

Edit, many thanks in advance, but this saber will be heavily based on Novastar's flange, just built from mhs, with hidden switches, blade holder 7 and pommel 4, the rest will be grips and engravings. that and i will need the blade holder milled into crown.....I know, not original, but we can all have an input on this and i will try to build this with a group knowledge to create something.. this time everyone has a voice in a saber build, you know the basic outline, help me fill in the blanks... all credit will be given, everything will be in it's right place....
    Last edited by Dark Helmet; 04-12-2008 at 12:20 AM.
    If you refuse to bridge the gap, You will always be on the other side.

I have access to huge vector clip art databases at work. Can you (or someone) tell me the outer circumference of what you're using (hilt 1 as a guess?) Then I know how "tall" to make the graphics file so you can print it and wrap it around the part.

If you have Photoshop.. there are literally 10000's of vector shapes and objects you can use.. all premade..

tribal, floral, vines, patterns...and the list goes on & on..

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
    I have access to huge vector clip art databases at work. Can you (or someone) tell me the outer circumference of what you're using (hilt 1 as a guess?) Then I know how "tall" to make the graphics file so you can print it and wrap it around the part.
    the best measurement i could get was 4 7/8"x 4", but I could stretch the image if i needed to make it fit, thanks much!
    xl, I'll look into that, a friend of mine does a lot with PS but he's a bit lazy about it. I'll have to trade laptops with him for a day or 2 .

thanks guys, I was a bit weary about asking for help but there are so many talented people on here it just made better sense to check with everyone before committing to an idea that may fall short of what I'm looking for.

you can start googling for them yourself.. or if you find some images of something you like.... I can search through my (literally 1000's of shapes & brushes) to see if I have a set to match whatever it is your looking for.

how organic/viney are you looking to go? som look liek grape, vines, some more.. umm (girlie I guess is aonly way i can describe)... some are more tree'ish or tribal..

Sith Minion
    Jedi Initiate

also might want to check out some tattoo flash, they have alot of different designs and alot of unique stuff thats not just click and paste, or might be able to draw something small really inexpensive. they are use to dealing with cylindrical patterns so if you know one, it might be a big help.

I harnessed the energy of the yellow sun in one of my kryptonian crystals to power my lightsaber

No man stands so tall as when he kneels to help a child
    Mr. Abe Lincoln

Like these:

If you like them, they can be modified to whatever yo want. Send me a PM and we'll talk details and what kinds of files or prints you will need. All are to scale, but I'm not sure what photobucket does to them.

Last edited by Dark Helmet; 04-14-2008 at 07:22 PM.