Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Big Freakin' Batteries

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Default Big Freakin' Batteries

Okies, I've gotten a few questions on batteries since I made a C-sized li-ion pack in killphil's saber. I really think they're useful because flashlight people are pushing capacity and all that good stuff.

So here I think we should have the one stop place for BFB (Big Freakin' Batteries)! I don't know about you but the possibility of running for hours on a single charge beats the junk out of 30 minutes of brightness. I'd rather run a III or K2 for 5 hours and laugh while still thrashing someone who's saber is already long dead.

So...

http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/Produ...px?TranID=3985

Barry! A FF sized li-ion set. 5000mAh of power. At 1.25" diamter this one is a beast! For the right saber it could kick butt and take names though.

CPF is being a pain so I'll add some of those later...
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...89#post2069089

Those are the c-sized ones I used before.

This dealer also has a thread setup in the forum for other "normal" sized cells. I got some 14650's which are nice. They're longer than AA's but are the same diameter.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

A c sized battery would be nice but at 1.25" wouldent it be a bit diffacult to fit it in the mhs? how you gonna wrap the negative wire back up to fit thru the mhs?
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hasid Lafre View Post
    A c sized battery would be nice but at 1.25" wouldent it be a bit diffacult to fit it in the mhs? how you gonna wrap the negative wire back up to fit thru the mhs?
    The FF's are 1.25".... 65mm long though. That's kind of the point, they're big! They're also 5000mAh so you trade size for the capacity.

The C's are 25500's. So they're AA length but 1" in diameter. They'll fit in most MHS parts no problem. So compared to 18650's in a stick they're much better. They're higher capacity (3300mAh vs 2400mAh) and shorter yet fatter. Shorter yet fatter is not bad though because you can't stack well on top of the 18650's anyway.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Ok I dont think ya got it.

You know how on most batterypacks a wire has to move up the side of the battery/pack? IF the battery is the same or close to the same od as the mhs id then how you gonna fit it in the saber body with that one wire getting in the way?

Maybe if I had a pic or somethng to see how it would be done then yeah lets go for it.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Well, MHS isn't the only way to get a saber done...

You either wouldn't use it in an MHS section or you'd have to do some custom work.

My thoughts are if it fit your design you could cut out a line in the MHS all the way through and cover it with a sinktube shroud. Be creative! Look ate the specs... I didn't post this to say it's the only way to go. I just wanted to present the option that you can get crazy runtimes if you work it out.

BUT again that applies to the FF's only. C's will fit even with wires in a MHS section no problem.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Ok thats what I was wondering

Of course, if you do a "Flange-type saber" like this:

There'd be plenty of room for those Big Freakin' Batteries!

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Cool stuff. Just 1 of those C batteries could direct drive a LuxIII for quite a bit. I bet a C would fit into a 1.25 sink tube as well. Just think of the run times if there were two wired in parallel...

Another solution to the whole "wires need to run down the side"... sand or grind down a portion of the inner diameter of an MHS.

Now sure, you can't really do that on CERTAIN MHS parts (such as the "grenade"-like grip one)... but... welcome to planning, design, organization & structure 101.

BTW, THANKS X-wing, this whole "C-Cell Li-Ion" is something I've been wanting to explore with a saber for some time. They even have a D-Cell!! Daaanng.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide