Thread: LOL big newb question

Default LOL big newb question

what do all the switch abbreviation mean.....
    I will do what I must. -Obiwan
    You will try. -Anakin

SPST

SPDT

DPDT

All that jargon?

Put simply, SPST is single pole, single throw. ie. You get one switch powering one circuit.
    SPDT is Double throw, so you can have two circuits (eg.light & sound) on one switch instead of two.

It depends on how you want to wire up your saber.

I have a Crystal focus & Lux 3 running on a SPST, but back in the old days, you had to have the light & Sound on two circuits with on switch, as they were powered from different sources.

THat's as layman as I can get with it. Hope that helps.
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

so if im gonna do a 2 circut saber like Arm on Fires's then i need to order a spdt?
    I will do what I must. -Obiwan
    You will try. -Anakin

dpdt is very versatile, and likely the smartest to use... this way you can send voltage to the led, and on the other poles replace the leads of the mr switch to activate sound. this is really the safest way to pull this off, and I'm pretty sure it's the way he did it. it's actually easy, you have 4 posts, 2 of them will connect 1 pair of wires, the others will connect the other pair. some dpdt you get will have 6 poles ( some radioshack types) only 4 are active, so a volt meter will be a great help since they don't label leads. other than that, get a dpdt, and make sure you know which leads connect to the other. a low powered lamp light like a christmas tree bulb, from one of those strings can be used as a test light. it will burn out quickly, but well worth it find out which poles connect together.

EDIT: GHETTO TEST LIGHT?? YUP! but it works.....
    Last edited by Dark Helmet; 04-08-2008 at 10:24 PM.
    If you refuse to bridge the gap, You will always be on the other side.

I'd go DPDT if you wanna do it like AOF.
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?