Thread: How to properly power a SW-616 1 Watt RGB Prolight LED?

Default How to properly power a SW-616 1 Watt RGB Prolight LED?

I recently took apart a SW-616 saber for the sound board and had a blade and the LED left over and thought about making a small yoda-ish size saber out of junk i had laying around. the only problem is i have no idea how to properly power this thing. i heard that this led was underpowered since the makers decided to not use a heatsink.

Is this LED even worth making a half ass saber out of it? I know each color requires different voltage so that means each color gets a different resistor but i have no idea what resistors i should use.

If i properly heatsink this thing i should be able to give it a little more power to make it brighter right?

Heres the Datasheet I got on it, I plan on using 3-4 1.2 NiMH AA batteries

I'm looking to get the LED as bright as possible without overpowering it and shortening it's life.

Are you sure that's the right specs on it? I swear I thought the max ma was in the 500-550 range. I'm driving one with a Corbin driver at the moment with some 250 ohm pots. I used some Artic Silver 5 between it and the heatsink to help with the heat. I'm going to guess and say it's been on a total of 5 hours so far and hasn't blown yet though I haven't checked to see how much current is going to each color.

Speaking of, can anyone recommend a relatively cheap tester that will let me check ma up to like 1500?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I suspect that's the wrong datasheet. This is the correct one:

http://www.led-bulbs.com/html/prolig...-3LUX_v2.1.pdf

It has 350mA of solid current as the max and peaked up to 500mA. Peaked meaning pwm drivers and such... so for resistors you'd be overdriving at 500mA.
    RED LEADER Standing by!