Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 1000 lumens, 14 mm wide

Just thought I'd try to help bring the topic back on topic, so I went and collected some information I hadn't seen yet in the thread.

Mind you, I've never done any real electrical work or circuit design, so I might be barking up the wrong tree. That said, from what I *thought* I kind of understood from reading the LuxeonIII Thermal Spec doc, Thermal Resistance plays some role in the amount of heat put off by one of these, so I thought I'd collect the numbers for comparison.

If I'm totally off-base, let me know and I'll clear the post to avoid gumming up the thread.

Code:
    Luxeon III
    Max Lumen: 140
    Thermal Resistance: 17 ºC/W

Luxeon V
    Max Lumen: 120
    Thermal Resistance: 11 ºC/W

K2
    Max Lumen: 75
    Thermal Resistance: 13 ºC/W

P4
    Max Lumen: 
    Thermal Resistance [5]: 8.5 ºC/W
    Thermal Resistance [6]: 6.9 ºC/W
    [5] RθJ-Bis measured with a SSC metal corepcb.(25 ºC≤TJ≤110 ºC)
    [6] RθJ-C is measured with only emitter. .(25 ºC≤TJ≤110 ºC)
        Break voltage of Metal PCB is 6.5kVAC

P7
    Max Lumen: 900
    Thermal Resistance [5]: 3 ºC/W
    [5] Rθis measured with only emitter. (25 ºC≤TJ ≤110 ºC)
    The lightsaber: An elegant weapon from a more civilized age...
    ... or the galaxy's best utility knife?

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

What color are you basing these stats off of? Every color has different lumen output. To make a good comparison you need to choose one color and compare them that way. You can refer to the led resistor chart we have using the link on the main store page for luxeon brand led's.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

I pulled the stats for white on all of them. Figured a direct comparison would be best, since the various colors have different brightness even between the same lines.

I figure I don't know enough about electronics to do a test saber myself, but I can do the grunt labor of trying to dig up info (if someone can point me in the right direction). Just seems like the P7 would be the holy grail of LEDs if it can be made to work. Even a filter that cuts out 50% of the light would be 450lumen or so.
    Last edited by Voice; 05-31-2008 at 02:18 PM.

Are you sure you have the right lumeon numbers? I think a White Lux III only puts out about 80 ... not 140. And a White K2 puts out 140 ... not 75. I'm not sure about the others, but based on that I think all your stats should be re-checked.

I re-checked and I seem to have the correct according to the led-tech.de site:

Now, if the site has the numbers wrong, then my bad. All I can say is I'm a newbie and I don't know better (yet).

Code:
    Luxeon 3:
    Emitting Color:  	white
    Housing Color: 	clear
    Lumen min.: 	60
    Lumen typ.: 	65
    Lumen max.: 	140

Luxeon 5:
    Lumen min.: 	87.4
    Lumen typ.: 	105
    Lumen max.: 	120

K2:
    Lumen min.: 	39.8
    Lumen typ.: 	45
    Lumen max.: 	75

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

The thermal resistance has more to do with finding the heatsinking amount. If you wanted to do the math you'd find the "adequate" amount via that number, but otherwise it doesn't mean a whole lot to us as we use the whole hilt and if that's not enough... well, that sucks I guess.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

So those thermal resistance numbers would let someone who knew the math figure out if a saber made from parts here would be a sufficient heat sync, but not much else?

I really can't imagine that it wouldn't be enough, but I honestly don't know enough to say for sure without actually holding one.

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    While we're all de-railing this semi-pointless thread...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c70ZRlyWL1E

...look at THIS retard.

-1 star -- no tripod used
    -1 star -- TV show in the background is distracting
    -1 star -- used one hand to unscrew the cap instead of placing the camera up on a shelf
    -1 star -- used a dogtag ball-chain instead of a piece of WIRE
    -1 star -- don't smoke, baby
    -1 star -- Army issue flashlight = -1 garbage piece of SHIP.
    -1 star -- part ONE of a TWO part video on this moronic subject
    -1 star -- spelled cigarette with an "s"

Genius man. GENIUS man.
    Actually, this is a trick you learn in survival training now. It is a way to ignite a fire if you have a flashlight. While I agree that his methods are moronic at best, he is actually showing how to do something useful. I guess.

You don't need a flashlight to do that. You need a battery. Or a cigarette lighter. Or a bloody MATCH.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

The three survival essentials: a Bowie knife, a Zippo lighter, a coil of rope - with the knowledge how to use them those can get you through most survival situations in most conventional temperate land environments [obviously high arctic climes, deep desert, or adrift at sea or fallen out of a plane requires other more specialized survival equipment lol]

Though for a Jedi in a survival situation, say crashed starfighter on a non-spacefaring planet with no communications for possibility or rescue, I guess the lightsaber could do double duty for the first two and if you built a liquid cable launcher/spinneret in the pommel maybe even most uses of the last...if SW was real that is.

Robinson Jedi...there's a story there methinks...