Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: saltwater etching

how long did you leave it going? that looks like what my glass etching work looks like if I don't leave the acid on long enough, I'd suggest going for longer in the bath if you want a more even/sandblasted look.

that was about 45 minutes. I cut it short to check the threaded areas and make sure it didn't damage them or make them fit loose (they were perfectly fine)... next time i plain on doing something much more elaborate.
    If you refuse to bridge the gap, You will always be on the other side.

Looks sweet, DH.
    Darth Fender
    Sith Lord

You over estimate my FLOWERS!

I can see alot of wannabe sith lords taking trips to the hospital with Chlorine exposure.....

Looks good though.
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

I'm feelin' a little.... whoosey......
    Darth Fender
    Sith Lord

You over estimate my FLOWERS!

If you printed out a pattern on a laser printer and then ironed it on to the surface to be etched you could put a copper tube down the middle of the hilt and etch all the way thru. Might be able to get some nice designs not possible with a dremel.

this intrigues me, time to suck some poison
    wsoFB by Nathan Barnes, on Flickr

so i know this post is old, but i had an idea that may make etching a tad bit easier. Same method and all, just instead of freehand painting the resist on, what about making a design on some colored contact paper (we used to have to cover books with it at school) and cut out the portion that you dont wish to be etched. once the contact-paper-stencil-design is on the piece you wish to etch, then spray/paint it with the resist. once its dry, peel the contact paper off (im not sure how sticky this stuff is so be prepared for some force ;p) and continue with the etching plan here :] hope it helps

That would actually work. Just make sure you've got good coverage with the paint. Two or three different coats wouldn't hurt. Otherwise, the saltwater will get through any small bubbles in the paint and produce pitting.

On a side note, a poor paint job on an MHS piece put through the etching process makes for interesting weathering. Check out the three inch section below.

WAY COOL
    That looks like real, Star Wars weathering!

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent