Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ok, I'm Dumb

Default Ok, I'm Dumb

How do you mount the Lens holder and Lens to the LED. I was just trying to get it altogether and chiped my lens.
    So can any one help me out?

Edit

Ok so i got the lens and lens holder to sit correctly but i can not place that on the led star when it is mounted to the heat sink. The square base of the LED sits a quarter turn from the Square hole in the lens holder plus the holder will not sit the same as the led base b.c of the screws holding down the star. Do i need to notch out the holder or am i way off?
    Last edited by Klaatu; 04-04-2008 at 09:26 PM.

no, desolder it,then re-align the holes and it will drop right into place if the star is placed correctly, you should never have to alter any of these parts...check the wiring section, there should be a pic of the hole position on the heatsink with a star mounted to it with the luxeon logo on the top... this will give you the correct position of the star. i made the same mistake once, but was just lucky all the other times, since i just solder it on and go. its a very easy fix, if it won't fit, just spin it to the next set of holes until it does.... better yet, ill see if i can find the post

EDIT: i got tired of looking, here is i pic
    http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...eatsink003.jpg

the luxeon logo is level as if you are reading it normally,( it's blurry in the pic, but it's the level writing on the bottom, this is a k2) this is how the wire holes and screws should line up, btw, if you chipped the edge of your lens, you may be fine,center or the underside is a problem, but if you chipped the lens holder, the blade holder may push it back together for you when you have it fully threaded.. i wouldn't give it too many worries unless you see strange streaks of light along your blade, hell, managed to burn out my new led today,but as long as the cheap parts break, I can live with that.

and you say you're dumb, i had to edit my reply a bunch of times to get the grammar correct so it's easy to understand, and I'm still not sure i worded it well enough, if you still have problems just reply so this post comes back to the top, I'm happy to help, as most of us are.
    Last edited by Dark Helmet; 04-04-2008 at 11:20 PM.
    If you refuse to bridge the gap, You will always be on the other side.

i can get the holes onthe heatsink and the star to line up correctly. can u put a pic of the lens holder on the star connected to the heat sink. thats whats throwing me.

it's a bit blurry, but this is the best i can do with my junk camera
    http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e.../heatsink2.jpg

so did u have to make he notch bigger for it to fit over the solder points and the screw or did your fit over both already? Bc mine deffinatly doesnt

Yeah, I had to "alter" the lens holder on my sabers to fit over the solder points, I am not a master solderer so i tend to glob everything.

so far I haven't needed to alter any lens holders, but you may also want to make sure you have the correct holder, if the open area in the bottom, where the led fits through, is round with 2 sqare openings on either side it's for a lux III/V. if it's wide open with just the 4 "legs" it's for a k2. same goes for the led, if it's round its lux III/V, square is a k2.
    in this pic the luxIII/v is on the left, k2 on the right
    http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...atsink2006.jpg

as far a soldering the wires to the star, i like to mount the star, then place the soldering iron on the stand with the tip (i use a flat tip) pointing toward me. then i hold the wire on the solder pad and push it against the tip until the solder melts.when i pull it away the only height added is the wire itself.i also do this when i join 2 wires together since i can see everything better.

that's def the right one, mine is a bit different, maybe that's why i haven't had any problems...if it turns out you have to mod it, just be careful putting on the blade holder, if the lens/holder are too high it could break them.
    maybe try this, remove the star from the heatsink and wires to see if the holder will fit. if not you will have to modify it a bit.
    Last edited by Dark Helmet; 04-06-2008 at 04:49 PM.

Yea i ended up using my razor knife. I cut it down to fit, now it fits just fine. but i must say it was a P in the A

I realy appreciate your Help.