Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Battery question...

Default Battery question...

Okay, I tried searching for an answer to this, but no luck.
    Can a Lux V (6.95v) and a 1000ma Buckpuck be run on 7.2v?
    I thought I read that a buckpuck needs about one volt, but now that I think about it, I can't remember if that was a puck or a driverboard.
    Please help?
    "You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

A buckpuck IS a driver - it does not need "extra battery power" in order to operate properly.

Yes, that set-up will work. I would recommend a 700mA puck, 1A is about the most you'd want to push through a Lux V.

Fantastic, thanks Eastern!
    I've already got the 1000ma puck, this saber is actually my first one, a sinktube saber, it's been built for coming up on three or four weeks.
    I'm just trying to figure out if I can fit the whole thing into a typical three piece MHS setup.
    Thanks for the help!
    "You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Actually, 1000mA is fine to feed to a Luxeon V. It will increase the brightness, and if it's on PWM, it's certainly no big deal.

Eastern, help me out... doesn't a buckpuck require a little bit more "over" the LED's voltage? In other words, if you have an LED that needs at least 7.2v to be at ideal brightness (read: Luxeon V @ 700mA or > ), and your battery solution for the puck is 7.2v... won't that mean that the puck will take a little of the voltage (in order to run the circuit), and by the time it pumps out the output... we have a little less than 7.2v?

Now certainly on a full charge... 7.2v is REALLY ~8.4v... but only for maybe 5 to 15 minutes I'd think. Hmm. Anyhow.

Personally... I wouldn't bother with a puck in this case since the battery solution so closely matches the LED's fwd voltage--it's simply not necessary.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yes, 1A will make it brighter - but 700mA is the recommended... I don't want people to get the wrong impression that 1A for a luxV is "standard"... but I run my lux Vs at 1A

"Require" is maybe the wrong word to use... A buckpuck runs at +/-95% efficency so output is a tad less... but with a 7.2v pack, a luxV will be more than happy.

as for 7.2v - 8.4v, you might be thinking of Li-Ions (7.4v - 8.4v). Ni-Mh don't run as high... a 7.2v pack might still meter as high as 7.8-7.9v when fully charged - but not 8.4v.

Oh poop! You're right Eastern--I *WAS* thinking more along the Li-Ion side there. BUt hmm... I think then that is even MORE reason why using the buckpuck in this case... is nearly irrelevant if not a waste.

Why am I saying this? (for those who are reading and are new)...

Well, we have:

7.2v (Batteries)
    ~7v (LED fwd voltage)
    =
    NO waste of energy, especially if a super tiny resistor is used. And you know what--just like Eastern said--in the case of 7.2v Ni-Mh... you probably wouldn't even WANT a 1 ohm resistor in there... you might want 0.5 ohms or something, just for protection.

However, if the buckpuck was added... all it would do is suck a little bit more power to give current regulation... which won't really be necessary since the cell + LED voltages are matched so nicely.

My 2.89437548489 cents.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)

Quote Originally Posted by eastern57 View Post
    as for 7.2v - 8.4v, you might be thinking of Li-Ions (7.4v - 8.4v). Ni-Mh don't run as high... a 7.2v pack might still meter as high as 7.8-7.9v when fully charged - but not 8.4v.

Hi folks, there is a battery configuration that can give you 8.4v. 1A. AND it is pretty small, 7AAA in and hexagonal arrangement, one in the center and the other 6 arround it (which I sugested TCSS to offer these packs). That type of solution fits inside 1 1/4" ID and it will take las than 2" in leigth.

I have some pics of it but realy dont know how to post them, or better said, i dont know how to upload them so i can insert there ULR

Jase posted this:

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...33&postcount=1

Definitely a good thread on doing the whole AAA x 7 thing.

Granted, I doubt that setup will ever give as much mAh as two 18650 Li-Ions, but... when space becomes an issue (it always does!!!), this may be your best option.

I have a set sitting on my workbench and let me tell you them things are huge-o...

huge...

Preachin' to the choir, Jase... 18650s are all I use regarding Li-Ions...