Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay-gon's Brass saber 2 & 3 (MR Sound/Lux III's)

Jay it amazes me what you can do with them sinktubes. I dont have the patience to deal with it. I would do the reverse like on your custom.

I have very good feelings the clamp one is gonna turn out extremo sweet.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

lookin' pretty sweet so far, i love that brass with the silver. I can't wait to see these all done.
    If you refuse to bridge the gap, You will always be on the other side.

Okay, did some more work today. My feelings about the results are somewhat mixed, though....you'll see what I mean in a bit. Now on to pictures!

I drew up the window cut-out for the grip section, and put the tube i the vise on my drill press. It works out well, 'cause the table swings from side to side to aalow for easier access to the sides of the tube:

I started out with the cut-off wheel on my rotary tool:

I cut all of the straight cuts first, then cut across the corners, and the piece fell off:

I'll hang on to that, it may come in handy sometime!

I swapped out the cutting wheel and installed my side scrolling bit. THe "Human Milling Machine" strikes again!

I did the first corner allright, but on the second one, the bit decided to jump out of the tube and skittered across it! AAARRRRRGGGHH!!!

After some choice words and a few minutes berating myself, I calmed down and finished it off, this time using the cutting wheel to remove more material from the corners, and using the side scrolling bit to round them off:

I put on the sanding drum and did a little de-burring:

And then some filing to try and square everything up a bit more:

I also used a rat-tail file in the corners to further round them off, and then used some well worn 400 grit paper to sand on the surface. I also test assembled it to be sure the parts are going to line up right:

The grips line up in the window perfectly! Success! My only gripe is the chewed-up line on the tube....and all the scratches you can see in that shot that were left by the clamp the first time I slid it on there....I also have a couple shots of the saber with the clamp installed, but you'll have to wait until later to see those!
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 04-04-2008 at 11:34 AM.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Looks great so far, I loves it
    Sith Happens

Here's a few shots of Brass Saber #2 with the clamp on it:

You can see my screw-up with th rotary tool pretty well in that shot....

and that clamp needs to be polished sooo bad...
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 04-05-2008 at 12:28 AM.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

couldent you fix that some how?
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

I'm going to try to sand and buff it out.

I absolutely love your brass sabers! Great job man. Your very inspiring.

[EDIT] Whoot! 900 posts!
    "aaah... general kenobi.... you are a bold one."-general grievous

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Qymaen_jai_sheelal

Proud owner of the first two Darth Maul conversion kits! Thanks Tim!

Thanks Dacota. These are fun to do, but somewhat nerve-wracking, because the brass scratches easily when you're working on it.

I had a slight change in plans, though. I was testing out the location of the clamp, and decided that where it needed to go would put it right where the screws go for the front sinktube adaptor. So I placed an order for two of the 5" double threaded extensions, and requested that Tim skim them down to 1.42"-1.43" like the rest of these. That'll allow for the clamp to go anywhere, and free up the 4 adaptors for use in 4 more brass ones in the style of my first brass saber:
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 04-05-2008 at 09:02 AM.

Gorgeous...