Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay-gon's Brass saber 2 & 3 (MR Sound/Lux III's)

Yeah I thought so, thanks Jay.
    Sith Happens

Yes! More sabers from the brass master. I cant wait!
    "aaah... general kenobi.... you are a bold one."-general grievous

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Qymaen_jai_sheelal

Proud owner of the first two Darth Maul conversion kits! Thanks Tim!

I just finished cutting some of the brass tubing, and have taken some new measurements. MHS parts should fit if you have Tim machine them down to 1.44". The original measurement of 1.42" is a bit loose, but still do-able.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

I picked up several pieces of brass tubing (unpolished) at the scrap yard, thinking I would do great things with it, only to discover that it is the slightly smaller stuff and wouldn't fit my MHS parts. Maybe some day I'll order some parts from Tim and have them machined down like you did.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Obi-Dar, you could still use the brass tubes you got at the scrap yard... instead of fitting them over the MHS parts completely you could use them as plates if you cut sections. Layer them over other tubes as panels or half/three quarter shrouds...

Those tubes are nice Jay-Gon, these new sabers are going to look good
    "Run when you have to, fight when you must, rest when you can."

Please forgive me for such a dumb question, I see on the site that it sales pipe with a 1 1/2 diameter. Why will it not with with out mods to the tcss stuff?

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

becouse the tubes jay got are thicker then the standard sinktubes. therefore the ID is smaller.

BLUE 3- Ready

with sinktubes the od is the same but the id changes with thickness or guage. that way the pluming standards can stay the same without making all new shtuff.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

I said I did some cutting yesterday, and here are the pics!

I still had the metal cutting blade in the compound miter saw, so I decided to use that for the cuts. It cuts much faster than using a tubing cutter, but results in some deburring and sanding/polishing later on. I set the blade angle to 30 deg:

And made the cut on the tube for BS#2:

I reset the blade to 0 deg. and cut the other end to length:

Now for the tube for BS#3. This one needed to have the lip cut off first:

I flipped it around and did another 30 deg. cut on the other end. Then I taped it up for the next cut. I need a small shroud for the emitter on this one's emitter:

All done with these cuts!

The parts will have to be lighly sanded with some 400 or 800 grit paper around the cuts...the saw leaves some burn marks and pits at the edge of each cut. No biggie, just a bit of sanding and polishing as opposed to sanding the crap out of a chrome tube to get down to the brass underneath!

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

I test fit the parts next. This is Brass Saber #3:

Pretty simple construction. I think if I do this again, I might just order the 5" double threaded extension instead of two of the MHS sinktube adaptors. I wound up cutting the brass tube to about 5" to get a decent length for this one.

Brass saber #2 needed the tube de-burred. Here it is before deburring:

I then test fit the parts in this tube:

I also slid the Parks Laser-Cut clamp into place. It must've had a burr inside it too, because the damn thing scratched the hell out the tube when I put it on and took it off. Looks more sanding and polishing will be in store for this one too....oh well....here's how it looked:

I still need to decide if i want to cut the window for the grips like my custom saber, or have it reversed. regardless, I taped a piece of graph paper on to make the template:

This'll take some careful planning....