Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: lol....another newb question

Default lol....another newb question

i must be blind, dumber than a rock or something.......wha exactlly do the buck pucks do.....do the run from the boards or from tge batt pack.....?

Bit of a noob here myself, but i think they restrict and maintain the current flowing through them. They push the same current through when they can whatever state the batteries are in, thus your LED keeping the same brightness for as long as possible.

Sorry if i got it wrong, and please correct me if i did all a learning experience for me aswell.

lol thanks either way.......i know k2s want 1500ma and have read about them using 2 700ma buckpucks in line......i would use a MR board for sound only.....i wanted the Clash and Lock also power up and down....so ive got a full plate...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Think of it as a "fixed spigot"...

You know the gun attachment on a garden hose? You can vary the amount of water coming out, right? Now imagine an attachment that only lets so much water out - regardless of hose size or pressure.

That's your puck: some let out 700 units of water, some, a 1000... you just have to work with what you have, that's where the x2 700mA idea came from...

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Quote Originally Posted by jash1 View Post
    i know k2s want 1500ma and have read about them using 2 700ma buckpucks in line
    Just to help you out, you don't wire them in line, you wire them in parallel. Arm on Fire posted a great picture of how to hook up two 700mA pucks here:

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=4251

I'm running the same setup with a green K2, and it works great. Noticeably brighter than running through a resistor, and much more efficient.

In electrical lingo, a buck transformer reduces to output of a given input. Whereas a boost transformer increases the output of a given input. Industrial buck transormers are AC to AC reduction units and do not change the frequency of the incoming power. The BuckPuck is a special type of transformer and is a DC to DC convertor that adjusts the output voltage to maintain a constant output current. So basically, as the power in the battery drains, the Buckpuck uses more voltage from the pack to supply constant current to the LED. Hope this helps.

In the picture below, the box on the bottom left of the picture (with the orange label on it) is an industrial buck transformer designed to reduce 250V AC power to 221V AC power. Try to fit that one in a saber.

Ace,
    *puts finger under shirt and points*
    Hand over the CNC Mill or the Lightsaber Gets IT.
    Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of in·san·i·ty!
    Witty Quote

Spoon fEeD A nOOb

OMG... that is one *SSIIIIICCCK* CNC.

Boy... you're not kiddin' around, Ace! Orbital all the way!
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    OMG... that is one *SSIIIIICCCK* CNC.

Boy... you're not kiddin' around, Ace! Orbital all the way!
    Actually that CNC mill is almost 30 years old. It originally had a reel to reel tape drive for programming (for you young whipper-snappers, some old computers required punched tape strips to program - with each line of punching on the tape corresponding to a single character of the programming), but it now sports a new computer with flash drive and USB capability.

The mill is not alone, she has a sister too.

Ever work with Punch cards? One way to get back at some one you really hated was to shuffle them. That's worse than killing younglings. Ha ha ha
    Darth Fender
    Sith Lord

You over estimate my FLOWERS!