View Poll Results: This troubleshooting FAQ/Guide helped solve my CF issue...

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Thanks Erv, thanks Novastar!

14 77.78%
  • No. Dude... you just bring on the *suck*, N-Star...

4 22.22%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Crystal Focus TROUBLESHOOTING thread...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Dude I reformat 10-15 times every time I change my load... just as standard practice

You should *NOT* have to do this.

I consider myself lucky in that I've pretty much never had a major "tough to track down" type of issue with either of my CF setups, although I've worked on a few with Yoda (from FX-sabers), and believe me... you can chase some errors around for MONTHS before realizing it's not what you expected. I chased what we THOUGHT was an SD problem for a long time... turned out it was a hardware failure all along!!!

That being said--it is RARE that you'd have to format more than once (a FULL format, not a "QUICK" one!!!!!)... otherwise, it could be something more deep-seated.

Other things of note:

* SD CARD ON THE LOOSE!!! I've encountered issues when the SD card (v3, not v4--I don't have a v4) isn't seated properly or simply comes loose a tiny bit from the sheer punishment it goes through. To remedy this during the "early + short-lived" BOP III rehearsals... I always added a little elec. tape to lock the SD down onto the board so it could not move no matter what earthquake attack it endured...

* LATCH 'EM!!! Micro SDs MUST be "latched" in... they sort of have a finicky "spring" fit to them. It must be correct or the pins could give poor contact.

Making sure to kill the power to the board prior to installing the SD is always a good idea (a.k.a. avoid hotswap as much as possible). It doesn't mean hot swap is BAD... it just means that it's a good standard practice to kill the power to the board so that if it *DID* get bad information/data to read from the SD... the next time you install the "freshly formatted + copied sound folders" SD into CF... CF has no possibility of still holding a bunch of "bad data".

Hope it helps.

But again... you should NOT have to format an SD more than once or twice... MAXIMUM!
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

I am hoping for some tips on this one.

I finished this saber a few days ago.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grt-9NMSqpg

Now when I take out the kill switch. I either get nothing or a series of beeps.
    I have trouble shoot the SD card, soundfonts and config files.
    It does this one two different set ups.

Now this is where it gets weird. If I take out the KS and put it back in a few times, trying the power button on and off as well. The saber starts up and functions just fine. And it will be fine for a few hours after that. next day the problem starts all over again.

My guesses are:
    The recharge port has gone bad.
    one of the little tactile switches is grounding out.
    The ground port in the middle of the six holes is "goofy"

Anyone else have this issue?
    butthurtz is a path to the darkside.
    Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to butthurtz. Butthurtz leads to suffering

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I've had similar problems with a 2.63, but never with 3.0+ (knocks on wood).

The conclusion that I drew, was that it was "cold". This was during the winter months and it seemed all I had to do was let it "warm up". If I got nothing or beeps, I would leave the plug out and let it sit for a minute or two or turn it over in my hands a bit, replug, and it was okay.

Whether or not this was an accurate diagnosis - I still don't know, but I did have those similar problems and this is how I got it to work.

--------------------------

In an earlier part of this thread, I mention how the Canon 2.1mm coaxial port/jack... can get quite glitchy if you're not VERY gentle with it and if you don't use kill pins that go easily into the port.

There is a little pin in there (not the central one) that... if it gets bent a little strangely... it's pretty much all over.

Not to mention they have a grounding problem like you wouldn't believe.

In all honesty, I actually *DO* semi-wish that I had stayed with using my old "5-pin stereo jack" little part... but... anyhow.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)

Got a new one for you. Crystal focus boots up, I can browse the fonts in config, but when I actually load and turn on the saber, it will make the ignition sound and than completely stop sound, but the LED stays static. No flicker, no nothing. I have to press the ignition button a few times before it will turn off, and when it does, it sounds like the CF reboots. WIERD!
    Last edited by valeon; 10-02-2008 at 11:00 PM.

Do you have the 'hum' sound in there?

It may sound weird to ask, but I've forgotten to add that very important sound in after mixing a font. Basically, I'd copied everything over but the hum!

Granted, I don't know about the static LED thing in this case... in mine--the LED would function strangely, but flicker, and other sounds would indeed occur.

Naw, all the files are there. Sometimes when I boot it, it makes strange beeps and funny noizes.

reformat 10x and try again. My solution to every beep problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    You should *NOT* have to do this.----
    ----But again... you should NOT have to format an SD more than once or twice... MAXIMUM!
    Yeah, so that ones out, but thanks anyways lol