View Poll Results: This troubleshooting FAQ/Guide helped solve my CF issue...

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Thanks Erv, thanks Novastar!

14 77.78%
  • No. Dude... you just bring on the *suck*, N-Star...

4 22.22%
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Crystal Focus TROUBLESHOOTING thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Hootini View Post
    My CF 4 comes back on upon pressing the button to turn it off. It turns off and then just comes back on upon releasing the button. However it works fine for novastar only. It does this on all the other configurations. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks
    Strange that one of the fonts works and the others don't... which leads me to believe that the switch settings for Novastar (on the default v4's sent out) was set to (let's say) "switch=X" whilst the other fonts were all "switch=Y".

Whatever the switch is set to in Novastar (which works for YOU)... that is what the other fonts need to be set to for your configuration. So, you can try this:

* Remove the SD card from CF
    * Plug it into your computer, access the files
    * Copy the files to a folder on your computer
    * Edit the config.txt files and make them all reflect the same switch value (the correct 'Novastar' one)
    * Format your SD card. It's safe now, since you made a copy of its contents!
    * Copy all of the files from your folder on the computer EN MASSE to the newly formatted SD card
    * Replace the SD card into CF
    * Done. Test. Joy!

Good luck!
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Default Raw audio track?

Thanks Erv and Novastar, I figured it out. How do you convert an audio file to a raw file so that CF 4 can see it? Novastar do you have a program to do this on your CD? Thanks

you can use goldwave (free) or sound forge.
    you'll find a tutorial here
    http://www.plecterlabs.com/catalog/a...48&language=en

and here
    http://www.plecterlabs.com/catalog/a...articles_id=47

and I think novastar has made some tutorial videos on his compendium CD !
    Erv'
    Props Electronics
    http://www.plecterlabs.com

Default Cf 4

Many thanks! You guys are the best!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by erv View Post
    ...and I think novastar has made some tutorial videos on his compendium CD ! --Erv'
    Indeed I have. The CD contains a *TON* of helpful materials, all of which make using CF a lot easier for "new-to-electronics" folks, or people who are also new to sound in general.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CXqVDgz3woQ
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)

Default Goldwave

Novastar, looks like I need your CD. Will buy ASAP. No luck with Goldwave. Saves it as AU file, no matter what I do and just doesn't work. Thanks!

Default Some of you know I've had some troubles...

Okay, I have well and truly "buttered my toast" - gone so far as to rewire everything (changing parts out for different parts as well), including the battery, piece by piece, to eliminate possibilities one by one. There remains exactly one thing I haven't tried yet, and that's setting the configs to momentary and hooking a momentary up to the ignition switch pads. I suspect I may have damaged the "number one" pad in my initial soldering, based on everything I've done so far, but I lack the three extra arms I'd need to hold the multimeter and card
    "In the battle with one's self, there can be no winner, for the victor and vanquished are one and the same"

-Me

Keep me posted, Spec... If not by the threads, by e-mail--I'll see what I can do to help.

Although--if you're getting NOTHING from CF even when there IS indeed voltage coming from the cells (did you meter to see if the board is receiving ANY current)... that's a bad sign right there.

One thing--even if you get "nothing"... listen CLOSELY to the speaker when everything is "silent", but the cells are hooked up. You SHOULD hear a light "hiss" from the speaker.

You should also get a little "pop" from the speaker when you first hook up voltage to the board as well.

Finally--if there is a problem with the SD card/SD card pins... you will get exactly the above: silence + faint hiss from speaker and CF will do absolutely nothing.

Default More updates, more helpful hints...

These are all some GREAT things I'm adding to the CF Troubleshooting thread, due to it being discussed in a different thread:

* SD CARDS Use only quality brands for SD (AVOID "PNY")... Kingston and Sandisk are two good examples

* BATT CELLS Try a fresh or "known to be good" set of battery cells... believe me--it's happened to me before, and I chased it all over the place until trying such a simple thing.

* XP FILE TWEAKS Don't allow windows to make any special "check marks" on the files (as in 'ready for archive' or whatever)

* XP FILE STUFF, cont. Look out for extra "hidden" files like "thumbs.db" sneaking in there

* HDD CLEANING Defrag your hard drive, because if it's REALLY bad... you could have some copy issues when going to the SD

* TOO MANY FILES!! Do NOT let more files than are supposed to be there get into your directories

* Watch for the extra text files in Erv's default settings

* When in doubt, use my compendium CD... I'm 99.8% positive everything on it is spot on

* Copy all files "en masse" to the SD. If problems occur, check to be certain that the files themselves don't have some kind of CRC error (for example, you downloaded it partially from a site)

* When all else fails, go back to the basics and try the DEFAULT packages with no frills. If this STILL doesn't work--now you can be fairly certain you have some bigger problems

Default Reformat!!!

Even my high quality kingston cards mess up. I had to reformat 5X before those nasty beeps went away!