Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blade Diameter

Default Blade Diameter

Why does the EL Blade size have to be Thick-walled 3/4"? Why can't it be a Thick-walled 1"? And why can't a LED blade not be the Thick-walled 3/4"?

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

You could make a 1" EL blade but it would either take a ton of EL or a filler of some type to take up the space.

Most people do not use a 3/4" thick for LED because they are harder to make light up nice since the ID is so small.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Strydur View Post
    You could make a 1" EL blade but it would either take a ton of EL or a filler of some type to take up the space.

Most people do not use a 3/4" thick for LED because they are harder to make light up nice since the ID is so small.
    Thankyou, for explaining this! I am new to this site, but will propably be here for a long time.

I have had a couple of eL blades that were also 3/4" thin-walled polycarbonate, and they worked fairly well for what they were. They have both recently been converted to thin-walled led blades though.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazemann View Post
    Why does the EL Blade size have to be Thick-walled 3/4"? Why can't it be a Thick-walled 1"? And why can't a LED blade not be the Thick-walled 3/4"?
    EL blade is thickwall 3/4" because originally it was thinwall 3/4", but those (occasionally) break in duels.
    There is no reason why it "can't" be thick-walled 1" - though I suspect people didn't try it on account of how heavy the blade would be.
    An LED blade can certainly be thick-walled 3/4": I've done it myself. Although as Strydur said it is harder to get it to light up well, it is still much brighter than EL even when done poorly. When done well, I estimate it's probably about 3x brighter, and the color looks better in any case.

Those who have earned the right to boast have no need to.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

EL blade is thickwall 3/4" because originally it was thinwall 3/4", but those (occasionally) break in duels.
    Just for the record we have never done 3/4" thin walled EL blades nor have I seen anyone else.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

The two 3/4" thin-walled EL blades I had came from Random Sabers and RLSA Sabers.
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 03-26-2008 at 12:20 AM.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

I was referring to Jedi-Loreen's original EL blade tutorial on the force.net

Those who have earned the right to boast have no need to.

Luke,
    I read that one... the one with the PolyE bushings, which rattled like hell.
    Yeah, I had one of those. Yeah, it borked. Then I discovered LED/LUX.

Now I'm hooked. No offence to that old design, but even JLo stopped building them that way.
    Darth Fender
    Sith Lord

You over estimate my FLOWERS!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Hey, I did the best I could with what I had at the time. Nobody else was doing this.

I couldn't get the 5/8" diffuser tube inside the 3/4" thin walled tube, so I went with 1/2" and made the bushings out of pieces of the 5/8" pieces I had left when I was searching for the right tubing that had the diffusion properties I was looking for.

I've redone the EL blades that I actually used. They are all now the thick walled, and I was still able to get the 1/2" diffuser tube inside.

I don't really use my EL sabers and blade anymore, unless I'm letting someone borrow one.

LED is the way now.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!