Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Corbin Driver And A Lux V

Mmm I'm kinda in the same situation, but i'v worred so much about the batterys the CF saber I want to build. So I guss I'll take a shot at it. Well if a Lux. V battery pack holds 6 AA batteryes, and I know that some rechargable batteries are a little bit hever than others so I would say they would be the same heveness. If thats what your talking about. But check with somebody alittle bit more exsperenced than I am, like perhaps Lord Maul. Hope this helps.

Lithium is the lightest metal in the periodic table of elements... and although that is a SMALL reason why I use the Li-Ion cells... it's part of the reason.

7.2v Li-Ion (or otherwise) will power a Lux V just fine for a long time. Especially if the cells equate/wire up to 2000mah or more with their mah rating.

That being said, I personally think that a K2 is a better option--with the same batteries. You get a lot more runtime, and the brightness difference is not all THAT ridiculously different... unless you OVERDRIVE the Lux V from 700ma to something more like 1000ma.

Even then--your diffuser is KEY. Without a really rockin' diffuser... sometimes extra lumens... get wasted!
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Default hmm... 1000mA

Hey Novastar a couple times ive seen you talk about overdriving a LuxV by just not using a resistor in front of the LED. Could I still do that in a circuit using a Corbin board AND MR for sound using the 7.2V 800mAh Li-Ion pack?

Silverwing.

The Corbin board will overdrive the LuxV at 1000mA, that is ok people do it all the time... But 7.2v will fry your MR Board. You'll need to use a regulator to keep it to 5 ish volts.

Hope that helps you.
    Darth Fender
    Sith Lord

You over estimate my FLOWERS!

To add a footnote...you don't need a resistor at all when using Corbin's board...that's what the board is for!

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Yesterday, I found a 7.4V Li-Ion battery pack that is the same size as the one Tim sells, but 2200 mAh instead of 800 mAh.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/tener...0-2200-pk.html
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who i am not."

haha yeah Fender I realize that about the voltage, I was referring to current. Im still learning about electronics and such so I was wondering if only 800 mAh is detrimental to the setup.

Thanks tho

what is the max output of that driver? i want to power a lux III red-o but it looks so good with just a resistor, i don't want to lose brightness just to gain ramping and flicker...or will the drop in MA really matter, it seams red-o and amber need 400 MA more than the light side counterparts,i just don't want my saber to suck after spending good money on getting what i want...........
    If you refuse to bridge the gap, You will always be on the other side.

Corbin's board (the one offered on TCSS) will spit out an even 1000ma (1A). It is not configurable... at least not from the end-user.

This means that no matter WHAT LED you use... you will be giving it about 1A, if the batteries provide the forward voltage for the LED, plus about 0.5A or more for the board to run.

Giving more voltage to the Corbin board is fine... it will "convert" the extra into current. I do not know the board's limit, but I know it can accept 7.2 or 7.4v. Might even handle 9v or 11 or 12. Ask Corbin.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

thanks man,1000 MA may be not enough to satisfy, but ill just see it in action... the washington d.c. area is loaded with ppl who can modify it, i would just rather not have to pull "favors" for this. i have friends who can do amazing things, but i will have to pay much more later (i.e. sit in on a rally, or show support for some random cause that means nothing to me) i would just rather drop this thing in and run with it. as far as running a luxV, is it possible to feed a small amount of current to the led and let the driver "supplement" the rest? maybe by putting diodes on the driver outputs to block reverse current.....or maybe I'm just stupid thinking this could work....
    If you refuse to bridge the gap, You will always be on the other side.