Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone tell me what Bin my Cyan Lux 3 and Blue Lux K2 is?

Quote Originally Posted by Marsupial View Post
    maybe you could go with the filtered white option?

I had the same problem when I wanted orange. I got a red-orange... way more red then orange. Then I got an amber (yellow-orange??) wich is way more orange then amber or yellow.

However, my 2 cyan lux III are cyan. one is a known bin 1 - still never used. the other one I believe is a bin 2 and has been in my saber for a while before it got converted to cree Q5 with yellow filter (see avatar).

all to say, sometimes what you want now ain't what you'll want later, and there might be other alternatives.
    I fully belive that..
    just dont know what I want now then other than the cool Cyan color...
    I even think maybe if the cyan is a bit more green than blue that it might look cool too...
    but i just dont know!
    and since right now, i dont even have my saber built... (just finally ordered parts) I think i got some time!

Quote Originally Posted by Sohryu76 View Post
    I fully belive that..
    just dont know what I want now then other than the cool Cyan color...
    I even think maybe if the cyan is a bit more green than blue that it might look cool too...
    but i just dont know!
    and since right now, i dont even have my saber built... (just finally ordered parts) I think i got some time!
    if I'd be you, I'd get white and filters. this way you can change the led colour at will
    -Mars

Embrace the luxeon side of the Force... to bring light, into lightsabers

i always thought they didnt look as good..
    am I wrong?
    anyone have pictures of what they look like with filters?

For those who purchased a BIN 1 Cyan from Corbin's Components before he joined with TCSS, I was his original supplier. So if you have True Cyan from that time they originally came from me. After attempting many times to get the correct color I bit the bullet and purchased 120 BIN 1 Cyan Lux III LEDS from Lumileds. It wasn't cheap, but I finally got the color I always wanted. Luckily I was able to pass this information about the "greenish Cyan's" to Corbin and began supplying him with true Cyan when some of his customers were finding their Cyan LED's were green.

BIN 1 Cyan Lux III is the correct Blue-Green or "Sky Blue" color and the next would be a BIN 6 Blue Lux III.

This is the way the chart reads for those who want a quick and easy summary to read the Color BIN Chart on LUX III:

Royal Blue Lux III
    Bin 1 (Deepest Blue)
    Bin 2
    Bin 3 Medium
    Bin 4 Medium
    Bin 5
    Bin 6 (Blue)
    Blue Lux III
    Bin 1 (Blue)
    Bin 2
    Bin 3 Medium
    Bin 4 Medium
    Bin 5
    Bin 6 (Lightest Blue- Turquoise)
    Cyan Lux III
    Bin 1 (Lightest Blue- Turquoise)
    Bin 2
    Bin 3 Medium
    Bin 4 Medium
    Bin 5
    Bin 6 (Lightest Green- Lime)
    Green Lux III
    Bin 1 (Lightest Green-Lime)
    Bin 2
    Bin 3 Medium
    Bin 4 Medium
    Bin 5
    Bin 6 (Lightest Amber)

I hope this chart can help those who may be confused by the Luxeon Application Brief.
    Follow Your Bliss

I thought a bin 6 green was more pastel green? I dident think the color would change that rappid to amber.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

No, Hasid. Psab is correct (and not surprisingly).

White (5500K) Warm White (3300K) Red (625nm) Red-Orange (617nm) Amber (590nm) Green (530nm) Cyan (505nm) Blue (470nm) Royal Blue (455nm)
    This is cut & pasted directly from a luxeon site. Ignore the whites for the moment, and you will see that the spectrum of light here (measured in nm, nanometers) moves from around 450nm to 630nm.

Also, as most people know, lightwaves... well, ANY waves have "peaks and troughs" (tops & bottoms so-to-speak). This is why they are called waves, heheh.

But what does that mean? Well, what it means is--certain colors are "brighter" because the wave is quite literally "more intense" or at a peak at a certain color... whereas other colors are found more "mid-wave", really neither at a peak nor trough.

This is also why certain bins even within the same general color... will appear the brightest.

Examples: if you're able to find a wave expression of the above values and their colors, you'll see how a nice and "yummy" green lightwave can be found at the apogee or top crest of the visible waveform--and so can a pretty sick red... at a reddish-orange point in the waveform (although it's technically "between colors" there)...

This is why green and red(-orange) tend to be labeled with the most lumens. It is because they are essentially spitting out the most VISIBLE and "correctly colored" light here, and the least... uh... (this is hard to say) "incorrectly colored" light in the waveform. I know that sounds weird, but... anyhow. SIMPLIFIED: Green and Red-O usually get the spotlight on lumens... because of their "peak" locations in the waveform. Location, location, location??

REMEMBER: I am simplifying a lot of this GREATLY. Besides... *I* do not even understand all things lit and LED like an uber-duper-super scientist or what not. The point is... look at the waveform--and you will see which "nm" measurements show the most "ideal" points in the spectrum for each color.

Some "in-between" colors... are technically brighter than the more "sole/singular" color... since the in-between ones often hit... (drumroll please)... yes... the TOP OF THE CREST in the waveform.

Phew.

That wasn't even very technical, and it sure sounded like a shipload of cluck...
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Novastar,

In a non-technical way, you technically explained it. : )

I figured this might help with people who didn't understand the Application Brief on the Lumileds site. I know that it took me quite a while to understand it myself. Upon learning about how the colors were binned, I did some further research and studied what these LED's are capable of and it is pretty astounding how versatile these light sources are! (But being biased, Saber enthusiasts definitely have the coolest application!)

It's been quite a while since I've ordered any LED's, but I am pretty sure that you can do one of two things to get precisely the correct BIN color you want for a Lux III.

You can do like I did, and spend a whole lot of money, get a whole tray, keep the ones you want and sell the rest.

Or, and this is a better option, since you cannot order specific BINs in small quantities, I'm fairly certain that you can ask which BINs are in stock. Then you can chance it and order your LED as you normally would. Luckily if they have only the BIN you want in stock you're going to get your color. The down side to this would be that you may have to wait for quite a while for it to be in stock.

Some other LED distributors that carry Luxeons may be able to source specific BINs for you without it costing too much money. (Tim here can most likely help you, and there are many others who sell Luxeons as well if for some reason he can't source your color.)

Perhaps this information can be of help to those who need a specific BIN but don't have the money to buy a whole tray of LED's.
    Follow Your Bliss

Oooooo.... (amazed), Good one!!! Wait and ASK... duh, how come I never thought about THAT... Good call...
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Quote Originally Posted by psab keel View Post
    For those who purchased a BIN 1 Cyan from Corbin's Components before he joined with TCSS, I was his original supplier. So if you have True Cyan from that time they originally came from me. After attempting many times to get the correct color I bit the bullet and purchased 120 BIN 1 Cyan Lux III LEDS from Lumileds. It wasn't cheap, but I finally got the color I always wanted. Luckily I was able to pass this information about the "greenish Cyan's" to Corbin and began supplying him with true Cyan when some of his customers were finding their Cyan LED's were green.

BIN 1 Cyan Lux III is the correct Blue-Green or "Sky Blue" color and the next would be a BIN 6 Blue Lux III.

This is the way the chart reads for those who want a quick and easy summary to read the Color BIN Chart on LUX III:

Royal Blue Lux III
    Bin 1 (Deepest Blue)
    Bin 2
    Bin 3 Medium
    Bin 4 Medium
    Bin 5
    Bin 6 (Blue)
    Blue Lux III
    Bin 1 (Blue)
    Bin 2
    Bin 3 Medium
    Bin 4 Medium
    Bin 5
    Bin 6 (Lightest Blue- Turquoise)
    Cyan Lux III
    Bin 1 (Lightest Blue- Turquoise)
    Bin 2
    Bin 3 Medium
    Bin 4 Medium
    Bin 5
    Bin 6 (Lightest Green- Lime)
    Green Lux III
    Bin 1 (Lightest Green-Lime)
    Bin 2
    Bin 3 Medium
    Bin 4 Medium
    Bin 5
    Bin 6 (Lightest Amber)

I hope this chart can help those who may be confused by the Luxeon Application Brief.
    So does this mean that a Bin 6 blue and a bin 1 cyan are almost the same color? because that is what I think I'm reading...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Bin 6 Blue is more powder blue. Bin 1 Cyan is more minty, yet not a good hint of green.

I like Bin 1 Cyan personally.
    RED LEADER Standing by!