Thread: Hilt Grip

Default Hilt Grip

I had a question regarding grips on the hilt. I have seen a few sabers on this site use a kind of textured tape as a grip and I have also seen rubber wrap around grips. Basically, please let me know the name of the material used for some saber grips, especially any textured wrap around material. Since my MR sabers already have the "strip" grips, I wanted something different on my custom.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the guidance.

With those custom grips, you kind of have to just find something that you like. Most of the time people just find them on a site or at a hardware store or on the internet and use that. If you've built sabers or props, you are on constant lookout for new things to use, it's like a new instinct.

Ive got shrink tubing as the grip on mine. Works pretty good for me.

In the plumbing section of Wal-Mart, you can find a rubber tape that is meant for repairing leaking pipes. When stretched out and placed over itself, it sticks very well and firms up into a solid rubber grip. I think this stuff is similar to what Erv used to use on his sabers he sold. I've used it on a couple sabers, and it gives a really nice feel. It's not harmed by the sweat and acids from your hands and it doesn't get slippery when spinning.

I think I paid $4.50 a roll or something. It goes a long way.

Default along similar lines...

I've been wondering also about this carbon fiber tape stuff i see on some peoples sabers. What is it exactly, and how do i get it? does it have its own adhesive or do i need to use an epoxy or glue of some kind? I think this stuff would look pretty cool as a grip, but I'm not sure if it would be too slippery. I'm looking for it to use as accent on the neck of my RotJ Luke.

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." - Edward Abbey (1927-1989)
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Council Member
    Jedi Master

I've seen that carbon fiber tape in with the pin striping at automotive supply stores. It comes in different widths, and just comes on a roll like tape and you just peel and stick.

Something else that people have used, but I have never tried myself, is stingray skin. Looks like it has a neat texture. You can find it on Ebay, and it's not too expensive. Just type in "stingray skin hide", and you'll see you can get a whole hide for under $30.

While helping a friend put up some cubicals, I found some sort of packing foam strips. Ther are realy thick so I'll have to cut them in half but they seem realy sturdy. Sorry I don't know where you could get some though. Ask if anybody needs putting up cubicals.

I'll have to check out that tape Jonitus, sounds cool.

Proud owner of the last two style 6 MHS blade holders!
    <('-'<)(>'-')><('-'<)<('-'<)(>'-')>(>'-')><('-'<)(>'-')>

I've used craft foam that has an adhesive on the back side of it. Once its aplied its a royal pain to get off. I bought a package with about fifteen different colors for $6.00 at my local Hobby Lobby.

I went to the local sporting goods store today and bought some rubbery tape meant to re-grip a baseball bat. It's got a bumpy texture on it and is a little spongy.

I'll post some pics when I get my first saber done.