Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: brightness

Default brightness

I'm also new to the saber search and i can't decide which to go with EL or LED. I have read the pros and cons of each, but which one do most people go with usually. I guess I'm gonna be a follower, but I can't decide. So if someone has some insight on this and could ease my decision that would be great.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Did you read the "New to the saber scene" forum, the Thread Index, and the FAQ?

Most go with LED nowadays. EL is becoming less and less popular, but is still superior in quick color swapping.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

So what's the question?

The topic is brightness? Simple, Luxeon all the way.

Most are honestly going Luxeon now, but EL isn't without it's perks. Like Maul said, color swapping is tops and despite the lack of brightness that makes it super safe, say if you wanted to make a "kiddie" saber.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Not trying to force my opinion here but to EL sucks. Trust me you almost cannot duel with EL sabers. I've been there done that and it ended badly.
    In terms of brightness for EL, even though I've only tried two colors, lime green is the brightest. I compared my lime green blade to an MR saber and there was almost no difference. Not realy important but I just want to bash white. White EL blades are unbelievably disapointing, I turned it on with lights on and couldn't tell if it was on or not, turned the lights off, well I could see it but it might as well have not been on. Yes, it's that bad.

Now that my rant is over, go with LED. Now if your wanting the 3/4 OD of an EL blade then just buy the reducer and a 3/4 blade from the shop and put it in your LED saber. It won't be as bright but you've got the best of both worlds.

Proud owner of the last two style 6 MHS blade holders!
    <('-'<)(>'-')><('-'<)<('-'<)(>'-')>(>'-')><('-'<)(>'-')>

Yes, go with Luxeon LEDs they are the brightiest of them all and they're the closiest to the the real thing you can get. Besides EL is old technology. Hope this helps.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

led also tends to be cheaper. running a quick calculation earlier today, a bare bones EL saber was about 75 bucks, and a bare bones led was around 60.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Factor in 40 bucks for a different EL color and 15 bucks for a new LED color and the difference is more pronounced.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Maul View Post
    Factor in 40 bucks for a different EL color and 15 bucks for a new LED color and the difference is more pronounced.
    I didn't even think about that part. even though EL is more convenient for color swapping, that's a heck of a convenience charge.

why dont u try somthing diff... flip a coin

it couldent hurt i like EL and LED if u are short on credits then go LED

still i say u flip a coin to make ur choice let the force decied

I'd have to say the real distinction isn't brightness but feel. I love both but EL blades are MUCH heavier. If lightsabers were real, there would be no weight to the blade. LED pulls this off better.

B.