Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: prototype: mid-grade MR-Daughter Luxeon CONTROLLER.

Default prototype: mid-grade MR-Daughter Luxeon CONTROLLER.

I've been unlucky ennough to never be able to get my hand on crystal focus, so my current main saber passed from a led-only to a hasbro to a MR sound board, waiting to get its full-fledge sound board installed...

Since it still haven't hapenned, I started to believe there's one grade missing in saberbuilding.

We have the pure basic (resistor) and some early control (direct connect on hasbro or MR sound board)
    We also have led-only driver (corbin's) but its not the best integration with sound (at least in my experience)
    Then we have the full-fledge drivers (ultra, plecter)
    We can also pass to other blade type: hyperblade, EL blades, plasma blades...

but the fact remain, there's no mid-grade luxeon controller with sound.

So I decided that what was best in the "middle" was the possibility to upgrade from MR-direct connect to something bigger without being the full fledge luxeon+sound driver.

And I made this "daughter board" prototype that is intended to run piggy-back on a master replicas soundboard, help with the control, and drive luxeons. (see video links below)

The current post is to demonstrate this prototype.

Hear me, its not a full fledge luxeon driver - its a led controller intended to be more then the simple resistor you put on your master replicas. It controls the brightness of the LUX by pulsating it (PWM) like other drivers do, but doesn't feed a specific current. It could be a future addition, but I don't think its required for a mid-grade solution.
    As it is right now, you would still need the resistor (or other current controller) to ensure the LED isn't blown.

What it does?
    it controls the brightness of the Luxeon, being synced with the MR board. Taking the "led segment output" from the MR's blade, making 6 step ramping extension/retraction, in real-time sync with the MR sound. Then, it shimmers similarly to high-grade drivers.
    The clash sensor connects to the daughterboard, that flashes on impact and sends the signal to the MR for us to hear the sound. If you replace the clash sensor by a switch (or put both in parallel) then you have the option to keep clash on, making some low-grade lock simulation (the MR won't play a lock sound, but will repeat the clash ones.)

in addition to all that, there's accent leds in-sync with the whole set.

want to see that in action? I have 2 videos to show you

1st: Explanation video. At that point its still on the workbench to demonstrate how it works.
    http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=100_2919.flv

2nd: demonstration video without accent leds. (well, I haven't place for accent leds on my current saber... I need a clamp to add those, I guess I'll get one from ebay some day)
    http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=100_2921.flv

So... I'm all ears. is it a good idea?
    -Mars

Embrace the luxeon side of the Force... to bring light, into lightsabers

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Great idea Mars, and you executed it well.

One question: When do these go into production?
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Honestly, with the response that I saw so far, I tend to say : "as soon as possible"... which is still unknown as I am not setup with any type of online stores and suppliers...

When I started to work on that, I didn't know what type of answer I could expect from other sabermakers. I had the feeling I wasn't the only one who would use this type of mid-grade saber controller, but wasn't sure it would be welcomed.

I just finished the first prototype, I need to do further testing, and design a final PCB. I don't currently have a PCB supplier, so I can't say "when" with any type of precision. I'll keep everyone posted as I have details, and I hope to have tons of new details during march. I have some discussions going on about distributing. Nothing set in stones yet.
    -Mars

I think it's beatimus. I for one would be interested in a couple, depending on the price -- being a midgrade solution, afterall.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

So the board is controlling the LED current? I'm having a hard time distinguishing if this is more like a relay or it does some LED driving itself.

Also, what will distinguishing it from Erv's dimmer? I know he hasn't done a lot of them but it does have programable ignition, flicker, clash, etc...
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Mars,

Any Idea on the price of that unit, a ballpark?
    Darth Fender
    Sith Lord

You over estimate my FLOWERS!

Thats awsome keep it up mars, this would be great for people who want similar effects to a high end board, but can't afford one.
    - I must warn you, I'm very good at backflips... Flip Flip Flip, LAVA LAVA LAVA!!! Hmmm, seems I've overshot my mark.

The main difference with Erv's dimmer is that his dimmer is intended as a standalone unit that you can manage to run with a MR board, as mine is intended to run with a MR board and help its control. The control isn't from the main switch, but between the 2 boards.

That unit is not a current controller: letting you full flexibility on current control if you have specific need
    The unit is more of a PWM driver for LED brightness - whatever current you supply it will go to the LED, but being hashed down for brightness control. Also, this board makes you gain additionnal accent leds, is fully synced with the MR blade sound and lets you control the clash.

Plus, its aimed to be about half as expansive as Erv's dimmer. I hope for people to be able to buy a MR board plus this board and still pay less then a full fledge board (full solution for less then ultraboards?). altough I don't have a final PCB yet so final price isn't calculated... but it lets you know where I aim to be placed as a mid-grade board; and my component selection has been made with that in mind.

I will also be looking at making a hasbro version of a similar board if some people are into that. (similar board, different programming)

Dandura: for those who can't afford a high-end board, or just simply can't manage to get their hands on one, like me.
    Last edited by Marsupial; 02-24-2008 at 11:26 PM.
    -Mars

Thanks Mars, That's the ballpark I was looking for. If you can get it made for even close to the the projected price, it will sell very quickly.
    Darth Fender
    Sith Lord

You over estimate my FLOWERS!

I am intrigued. I have several MR boards that could use something like this and even if/when I can get a hold of some higher end driver boards I would still like to use the MR sound cards on later projects.