Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My color changing saber

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Yeah, I checked that. There are four pins, and it would be easy to accidentally turn it a quarter turn, and who knows what it would do. There is a little dot beside one of the pins, and I know that that pin has to be next to the little switch.

Not exactly sure what the problem is, but whatever it is, when I had the blade holder off, it worked fine. Soon as I screwed the BH on, it went all goofy.

I'll figure it out.

Maybe it got ****eyd and was sandwhiched off kilter.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

I tired to find one of those flashlights at walmart... no luck. sdo you stil have the SKU number from that? I am dieing to try this.
    Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of in·san·i·ty!
    Witty Quote

Spoon fEeD A nOOb

I picture this flashlight becoming instantly popular and harder to come by now that light saber enthusiasts know about it....

Council Member
    Jedi Master

It's already hard to come by. I have been trying to find these online for a while now. So far I have had no luck, but for those who are interested, someone at Candlepower Forums did a review of the same model as mine:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=186719

Here's a similar one you can order from ThinkGeek:
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/lights/8db4/
    Looks a little different, but appears to function the same way.

I will say it again. This is really not very bright as a lightsaber LED. It's cool to be able to change the colors, but you're not going to impress anyone with the brightness.

That said, if anyone can get one of these and make it better, I'd love to know how you did it.

One thing that needs to be improved is the way I mounted it. I'll take some pictures and post them shortly. I didn't think that it put out much heat, so I cut out a plastic disc, (I didn't want it to ground out on the body of the saber), and sandwiched it together to fit in the blade holder.

Turns out that it does get hot. I'll need to find a way to make a custom heat sink that is non-conductive, or at least, insulates the pins.

More to come soon...

Council Member
    Jedi Master

More pictures, as promised.

Here's how I put it all together:

The green disc is cut out to be the same diameter as an MHS heat sink. The hole is cut to fit over the white part with the pin sockets that you can see in this photo. The LED still fits snugly on top of this.

Here's a view of the backside. Yes, that's the lid from a jar of Kraft Peanut Butter. The black wire in the center is the battery positive. The blue wires that are twisted together go to the momentary aux switch. The other blue wire goes through a hole in the plastic disc, to the metal LED holder, to provide the negative return path to the batteries.

Here's a picture of that negative wire. The flashlight grounds through its metal body, so I had to solder a wire to this metal disk to provide the ground. It was a bit tricky soldering this, and my soldering is a bit sloppy, but functional.

Hope that is helpful. If anyone has an idea how I could do this better, I'd love to hear it.

Can You resend the photos or PM me the photos. I have these flashlights and I would like to make a lightsaber out of them.

talk about necro posting .....thread is from 2008

Just trying to build a saber. Not many threads on multi colored LEDs and he is one of the few who actually posted.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

You can't send or receive PMs here till you've been on for forums for 15 days, which you have, and you've made 10 posts, which you haven't.

Some people aren't as active here as they used to be a few years ago. It could be a while before you get a response.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!