Thread: 2 simple questions about the MHS

Default 2 simple questions about the MHS

I've just spent an hour looking for the answers to these questions on this site, and didn't see them anywhere, so please forgive me if I missed them. And yes, they are simple, but I still haven't drilled/tapped/secured my MHS blade (which is my first LED saber).

Now, my first question is this... I understand about drilling and tapping for a blade holder screw, but does the screw go all the way through into the blade, or is it just supposed to 'pinch' the blade in the blade holder? I ask because it seems that drilling a hole in the blade would be more secure, but couldn't it mess up the diffuser, or even possibly cause the blade to split or crack?

Second question... When using Tims LED holders, do I still need to use thermal paste, or is that just for makeshift LED holders?

Like I said, they are simple questions, but I just want to be clear so that I know that I'm doing things properly. Gotta make it idiot proof for some of us, ya know? []

Thanks for your help,

-Shawn

The blade screw only has to contact the blade not go through it. You could technicly drill through the blade as well, but that would cause problems you dont need. You tighten the screw down onto the blade and it is plenty secure.

If you are using blade holders made by Tim then no, you dont need thermal paste. His heatsinks at the lower end of the holder are all you need, he designed them to heatsink properly without the use of paste.

Cain

***A man is known by the enemies he carries, so make the best ones you can.***

***Give me a decent foothold and I will move the world.***

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

Thanks a bunch... Thats all that I needed to know... []

I am not to sure about the thermal paste question. I seem to recall that when tim posted the original designs for the blade holder he said to remember to use some sort of thermal paste. Either then or in the tutorial or some where. Maybe it will be ok without but I like to be sure and use the thermal paste anyway. It takes only a couple of minutes to apply.

Edit - I looked around the forums there but could not find it. I went over to theforce.net and found it posted on 9/5/05. It was for Tims first prototype. Maybe the design has changes but I still think it wise to use thermal compound just in case.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

There's no harm in it as long as you apply a little of it. Too much and it starts to lose the benifits and it gets messy.

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>

myself i use just a dot of it. dont take much, just amall dot, thats all.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

Tim could you please clarify this for us?
    do we need thermal paste with your holder?

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Works with or without. If you have some use it..if not it will work fine.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop