Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Can a hilt work this way?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Madcow

That'll work,
    What do you have in mind for the grip material?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">No idea. Something thin, probably not textured, and sorta soft. I wanna go to a hardware store when I get the parts, so I can see what kind of material will work best.

If I can get the MHS hilt idea to work, then I'll definitely do that, as it seems to fit better. If I went with the Big Yellow Box design, then I'd have to do a lot of work with getting the layering between the tubes right.
    If I can get just one layer of grip material in-between the sink tube and the MHS hilt, I'll do that.

EDIT-
    Oh, and I still need something to use for a box-style switch.
    I can do the actual switch part, as well as the activation panel covering it. I just need a metal box that fits the 1.5'' tube...

You going to stick with the Superman logo on the switch cover?[]

<center>
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/Dahak/</center>

I have a couple suggestions...
    First, I reccomend a foam grip - you can get a sheet of black foam/rubber at Michaels craft store real cheap. It's less than 1/8" thick and can be cut and formed. You would need to make sure your metal edges next to it were sanded/filed and not sharp. Form it aound your inner tube/MHS and voila.

As for the box, you can get channel aluminum at any metal store. Cut it with a hacksaw or mitre saw.

Would love to see a pic when you're finished

MC

You want to go home and re-think your life

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Madcow

I have a couple suggestions...
    First, I reccomend a foam grip - you can get a sheet of black foam/rubber at Michaels craft store real cheap. It's less than 1/8" thick and can be cut and formed. You would need to make sure your metal edges next to it were sanded/filed and not sharp. Form it aound your inner tube/MHS and voila.

As for the box, you can get channel aluminum at any metal store. Cut it with a hacksaw or mitre saw.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Very good advice. I'll do that.
    Hmm... I have literally no experience with metalworking, electronics, or anything like that, so it might be difficult to do the box like you're saying. I learn quick, though .

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Jedi Ranger

You going to stick with the Superman logo on the switch cover?[]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Haha! You noticed!
    Yes, I'm probably going to etch it out of translucent red plastic and maybe put an LED behind it.

Okay, after looking at all the possiblilities, I've decided to go with the sink-tube-over-MHS idea.

So, Strydur, just to clarify, it'll be an MHS with the blade holder machined down to fit inside the sink tube, while the pommel stays the same?

What about the switch hole? On my design, the hole for the switch is about at the middle of the hilt, while the MHS's hole is near the top. I could change my design to where the switch is at the bottom... Could I just flip the middle MHS part upside down?
    Unless of course you wanna make a custom MHS tube for me. That'd be cool too.[] lol

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

you would flip the tube so the switch is near the bottom. Or cover the switch hole and make a new one wherever you want it. I can make a end cap more like what you need also.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Strydur

you would flip the tube so the switch is near the bottom. Or cover the switch hole and make a new one wherever you want it. I can make a end cap more like what you need also.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Awesome!!!

The pommel's supposed to be cut at about a 60 degree angle, if that helps.

So, aside from the LED MHS hilt, the sink tube, and the complete blade, what else will I need? (I mean <u>everything</u>. I don't wanna sit down to build it and then realize I forgot to go buy a couple of screws.)

Oh, one more thing: How am I gonna keep the sink tube from sliding around on the MHS?

i think if you have it so the holder is sticking out past end of handle and then the pommel screwed on the sinktube when cut to right length, will be held in place between the holder and pommel.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

Well, my holder is inside the sink tube...