Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: driving your LED(No resistors allowed)? Read this

Well, it's true that I have a specific point of view in this debate. True, since I've been teaching electronics and tend to be accurate, I personnally think that everything must be explained & detailed, but within a certain limit.
    This is the "problem" : where to put the limit between no real information and the whole thing with mathematical equations...

My background, personality and the fact that I'm self taught for many things drive me to over expose and over detail things. There's however a difference between detailing and making things too complicated. There's also a difference between complicated and complex.
    When someone says that something is too complicated, it can mean that he hasn't the right "educational level" (some times mis called "intelligence") OR... that it's badly explained or taught. So called bad students sometimes have bad teachers or unadapted teachers.

Now, my personnal problem goes with the people that "don't have time to learn more" because they "just want a lightsaber"... but they don't have the money to buy it ready made /commission someone to build it AND they want to try to build it anyway.
    When you read a book about a certain topic (like "how to build you own vaccum formed machine"), you generally don't have shortcuts. If you buy this book just to watch picture but still think about doing it with a hair dryer, this is a stupid approach.
    I'm then going to self moderate that by adding that some of us are teenagers, like 16 years old and, yeah, for sure, they're not attending university classes about quantum physics. I'm not putting everyone in the same basket.

Building luxeon sabers is hard. It's a complex mixture of electricity / electronics / wiring / soldering / anodizing / machining / threading / cutting / have-to-hands-that-work-properly-ing / common-sense-ing and some more.
    It's fine if some of the list above is missing in your personnal skills. It depends how much you are ready to invest (time, money, research, work...) to fill the blanks and be able to get something nice.
    Being accurate is one of this skill (personnal opinion). Using appropriate vocabulary is another.

On my side, I'd say that I used to overcomplicate things, but I'm trying to improve myself. However, I think that it's a waste of time to put an excel spread sheet on a webpage with 20 columns and 45 lines to give a pre calculated resistor value for every luxeon combination of model / current / batt pack solution. This is not teaching and this is not sharing knowledge, it's exactly the oposite.
    It's give the impression to be sharing while you answer 2% of the question.

then, the user might use well this spreadsheet, but will wonder a month after which resistor to use with a little 3mm and not a luxeon. Or the person will simply use the same resistor without thinking that it will pass 1A into a little led that accepts 100 times less and the customer is REALLY surprised of the smoke and smell he gets...

Now look in my user's manuals. Probably they need to be rewritten with better english and better pedagogy aspects but... I give the general way of calculating things, and I add an example to it. Then it's rare that I get a question, or sometimes, it's just to confirm that the result is ok.

The other point is that forums and email are just unadapted tools for what we are exchanging here. Let's be honnest and what how the thread goes, it slips on oil (or mud... or worst - same color- ...) in 2 secs... simply because it takes SO MUCH time to take precautions in this informal media so that info isn't mis interpreted. That's why I'm also now self documenting my work in articles (equivalent of a sticky on a forum) once the summary and formatting of info is correct.

NO, there isn't GENERAL RECIPE that will always works with the plurality of devices we are using. Don't try to compare things that are different.

Now about a few points that have been discussed here, and so that you can be rewarded to read all my poetry :

- terminology / simplification : I agree with eandori. Specifically on the "luxeon is like a resistor". First thing is that it's incorrect and second it's not a "pedagogical simplification" that would help. Sometimes a metaphor or comparison, although not totally correct can be helpful for explaining something, but it's not the case here.
    LED are a semiconductor. Semiconductor isn't related to a person driving half of an orchestra. It's an ACTIVE electronic part, as opposed to a PASSIVE one, like a resistor. An ACTIVE part needs power to work.
    The LED is a diode, specific in a sense that it emits light (visible or not). LED = Light Emitting Diode. The reaction of LED are linked to a curve relating current to voltage. It's totally non linear, and is basically almost no current until a threshold, then an exponentially rising current as soon as you just increase a bit the voltage. That's why the slightest mistake on the voltage applied to the LED will "open the gate" and let a HUGE current thru it.
    That's basically where the statement "the LED eats what it wants / need" comes from.

- LEDs must be current driven. A static or dynamic system must servo the current in the electric path. When voltage is constant (provided by an DC adapter plugged on the mains for instance), it can be as simple as a current limiting resistor. The resistor will absorb the difference between the wallmount adapter voltage and "the voltage at which the LED goes for a specific current" and will transform this excess of voltage into heat.

- current regulation : most of the drivers we are using (as the topic title says : no resistor here) are doing a step-down conversion (buck converters). If the voltage of the batteries stay above the threshold voltage of the LED (what is called the forward voltage), current is lowered and averaged by a chopper (no helicopter in that thing). To limit the current, power is applied for a certain time, then shut off, and so on, periodically. The smoothing is made by a coil, or self-inductance, generally this winded copper wire part (wire is winded around a ferite pot/core) that is just next to the luxeon output.
    The time during which the power is applied changes over time, and increases while the batteries are going down.

- step up converters (or boost converters) : another system that fights the fact the batteries provide a voltage lower than the forward voltage of the luxeon. Thanks to the ohm low ( U = R x I), you can increase the provided voltage but it will suck more current. For achieving that goal, energy must be accumulated before being released, still using a coil, since it's a current accumulator.
    As an example : think about the gear system of your bike or a middle age crossbow. The latter was impossible to arm by hand, you needed to spin a mechanism. With a lot of turns (current), the rope was getting more and more tight, energy is accumulated, then released (the arrow is released and moves, it's equivalent to a difference of potentials, or voltage)
    Advantage : current is provided almost until the battery is TOTALLY empty.
    Those converters / drivers are not so popular in saber technology because they use more current, autonomy will be reduced, but it's a nice way to light up a lux V with a low voltage battery setup.
    On the other side, it's VERY popular in the flashlight world, where the idea is to suck all the juice of the battery instead of getting it dimmer and dimmer as soon as the threshold is reached.

- SEPIC converters : it's one possible topology for making a buck-boost. No easy to make / design, but some flashlight have that. It can start by doing a step down operation, then when the voltage isn't enough "turn into" a step up converter. For instance, my ultrafire C3 flashlight accepts 1.2 to 4.2 volts to drive a white luxeon (forward voltage generally around 3.7v). It therefore works with a AA rechargeable ni-mh, or alkaline, or 14500 li-ion (3.6v / 900 mAh, same form factor as a AA).

- why not HOT SWAPPING luxeon on crystal focus.
    Crystal Focus is doing step down current regulation. To my knowledge, it's the only board that dynamically synchronizes the sound duration to the power up / power down ramp effect of the blade with the accuracy of one sound sample.
    Current regulation with instant start are very simple cause they don't have to ramp the current and monitor it at the same time. The servoing is much more simple.
    In my case, I have to remember, when the saber is off what the state of the batteries are. Just like diodes, batteries are not linear for current available versus measured voltage. When I power up crystal focus IT CAN'T KNOW how much juice the pack can provide, and therefore CANNOT calculate a ramp duration to match the sound duration. That's why the first ramp is generally not accurate in duration.
    Once the battery juice has been measured once, I have a "target" for the current servoing for the connected luxeon. The second power up will be smooth and accurate in duration with the sound. Change the luxeon while the blade is off (but power still applied to the board), and you **** UP the whole thing. I naturally payed attention to that when playing around myself, but eandori is the one who tried... and fried (I owe him a beer for that).
    that's why it's now written in B&W in CF user's manual.

I know, that was long but... you now know me as an academic b@stard

Erv'
    Props Electronics
    http://www.plecterlabs.com

That was a thing of beauty Erv!

Wow....Just WOW!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

That was a HUGE post Erv, but VERY useful.

Time to go let my brain cool down
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Quote Originally Posted by xwingband View Post
    "Can I run _______?" Is irrelevant! If it's an LED and you match the current volts don't matter.

Example: Ultraboard has four settings: V , III Blue/White/Green , K2 , III Red and Amber

THIS REALLY MEANS: 700mA, 1000mA, 1500mA, 1540mA

So if your LED wants 1000mA you can select the III Blue/White/Green setting. Even if it needs 7V it'll drive it. If your LED has a target of 700mA you can overdrive it at 1000mAh. So a V would be overdriven on the III Blue/White/Green setting.

I just want to be clear here, Xwing, you still need a battery pack that will cover the forward voltage of the LED even if it produces enough current. For example I cannot drive a LUX V from any board of I'm isong 4.8v Battery pack? Right? Or are you saying that the driver (constant current) wil cover it even if the pack does not cover the voltage drop?

EDIT: Forget all that, I just read Erv's Post.
    Last edited by DarthFender; 02-24-2008 at 10:24 PM.
    Darth Fender
    Sith Lord

You over estimate my FLOWERS!

Exactly the point I was trying to make. No it would not drive the lux V correctly with a 4.8v battery.

Just to be clear here, this is what the reality would be and why I said "it cannot be simplified like that..."

4.8v Battery + Luxeon V + Plecter board = dimly lit LED.
    4.8v Battery + Luxeon V + Ultra Board = dimly lit LED. (I think... ultra does not upconvert. Right?)
    4.8v Battery + Luxeon V + Buckpuck = dimly lit LED.
    4.8v Battery + Luxeon V + Micropuck = dimly lit LED, possibly overdriven driver.
    4.8v Battery + Luxeon V + resistor = dimly lit LED. Even if no resistor, will not be close to full current.

So what if you have a 7.2v battery? A 8.4v battery? A 9.6v battery? When your battery gets low power, it acts like a smaller weaker battery. Providing less voltage and current. So even with a "proper" battery your LED will dim in the right conditions.

I completely applaud the effort to make this stuff easier for other people. I'll even do my part to help. But don't leave out important facts that really alter the workings of the unit if you are teaching how it works. We just need to find a better way to explain the basics.
    Edwin Tracy (Eandori)

- Official Plecter Labs USA station for repairs and firmware upgrades, Ultrasound soon!
    - Occasional completed Lightsabers for sale there!

Default Helpful..and funny

Thanks Erv' that was very helpful ..........

Nova---you kill me...I am still chuckling about about the angry video game nerd/ sink tube waving nerd in the dartk thing.......

Edwin----Thanks for being particular...it helps diligent noobs (like myself) figure out what you are trying to say......the problem is there are not so many dilligent noobs as there are make it light up now/ color by numbers/ needed it for goofycon 08 yesterday folks..... and that was the audience Xwing was trying to get to.....

Professionally speaking, my clients are of this last variety...they end up in jail or on the wrong side of a summons because they did not chart out their course prior to setting forth....I really understand and appreciate how Xwing is trying to satiate the teeming public......

Case in point.......when I first showed up on this lil' ol patch O' cyber space, I wanted a saber YESTERDAY, I wanted a blueprint that I could follow and I wanted it brighter than anyone elses and I wanted it perfect and I wanted to be able to explain it all......

I WAS A PUTZ..........you can't gain reward without effort. I see that now.

SO, why do I post this? We all are trying get to the same place, we are just talking to different segments of the saber population....and this sort of post is helpful to achieve that.
    J.
    TK/TB/ID 8286
    501st Pathfinders Lancer
    Carolina Garrison- 501st Legion
    Blue Ridge Base- Rebel Legion
    BlackDOG across the SW forums galaxy......

Sith Minion
    Jedi Initiate

Well, I would just like to say, THANK YOU XWING!!!!!!!!! You guys have to remember the first time you saw a custom saber. The joy, the anticipation? and I mean a custom saber! And all that really means is a pieced hilt and a lighted blade, yeah it's cool to have uber sound and all, but, without that signature glowing blade it's just not a lightsaber. There are far more people out there that don't know nothing about electronics ie wiring and voltage, wattage. So I think it's a great idea to make it simple, for those that are young and like my brother in law, who has a learning disabillity, and don't understand anything about what you write, and needs to see things first hand. It's really arrogant to assume that if somebody CAN'T read up on the information that they shouldn't enjoy the same JOY we all get from ours. What's wrong with a LED wattage voltage/ wiring reconmendations, do you realize the easier it is to do and less complicated it is the more money TIM and others will make. why short change yourselves. If I were you guys I would have a ton of detailed instructions of how to wire anything saber related, IE secondary LEDs, PLIs, sound boards, drivers, resistors, and have each LED that we use, posted with recommended voltage and driver, resistor you name it. I mean I really don't think that if you make it easy that the value will go down on ebay, it's still hard work and alot of research, and the custom builders are great, but unlike the machine work that takes tons of equiptment to do well, the basic elec stuff we can all get at local elec shop and with a little practice and cheap basic tools can wire a light saber. Tim, I love that you offer the basic wire kit for the LEDs you sell, you are a very bright man lol and hopefully will keep doing this as other LEDs are available. Xwing keep up the great work, Erv, Eandori thank you for the always expert advice and NOVASTAR for your humor and truth, i'm no genius, I love to smoke, lol, and always have questions, if there was somewhere I could go to check what batt pack would be best or good for the LED I chose and what would be my brightest way to run the LED, cause lets face it that's all anybody really wants, and wiring the thing to work right in a hilt, then I wouldn't have to post useless threads and create more junk for nooobs to read, it's a never ending cycle, if you don't address this soon, as you should all notice the saber market has tripled this year, then these types of forums are just going to be overwhelmed with these questions. oh and i'm sorry i'm not reading through 82,000 posts trying to find what i'm looking for when I DON"T KNOW WHAT I NEED IN THE FIRST PLACE. IF it comes to machine work or doing something with my hands I have no problems, and I can wire and solder anything if I know how it goes, so please show the light masters!!!!!!

FACE IT WE ALL WANT LIGHTED SABERS, and we all want it now not 4 years later when we get our degrees and we all don't have the money to ship it all over the place to have somebody wire it for us when all they had to do was post a little pic, or answer a little question.

And remember too that when you make it easy to do the basics that means more sabers that can be upgraded with sound and other stuff as all the nooobs advance in thier learning.
    Last edited by DARTH KALEL; 04-24-2008 at 11:56 PM.

I harnessed the energy of the yellow sun in one of my kryptonian crystals to power my lightsaber

No man stands so tall as when he kneels to help a child
    Mr. Abe Lincoln

Thanks for the kind and thoughtful words Kalel...

The only thing I'll say is... LED sabers are improving all the time... but--it does indeed take thought, planning, study, and--alas--work.

Pretty much like all things.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Sith Minion
    Jedi Initiate

amen brother, I have spent so much time and effort, reading trying things, but with hard work comes great reward. I don't want anybody to think there is a 1 2 3 answer to most wiring questions but it would be nice to see how to wire a resisted saber no sound and a bucked saber with no sound , for those who either have lighted stunt sabers or just want something lighted till they have the skill to do better or the money what ever the situation. Well Novastar you always help me out even if you don't know the answer directly you are quick to point to who and where I might find the answer, that's what a master does folks. I am getting ready tomorrow to put together my superman saber, it will have a p4 4xAA batt pack and resistor, untill I can get a CF, then I will jump to a bigger batt pack because of extra LEDs I want to run and get rid of the resistor. I just can't wait till I get the CF to do it lol. I am getting so anxious to see the yellow blade mixed with the colors of the hilt yay lol
    Last edited by DARTH KALEL; 04-25-2008 at 01:23 AM.

I harnessed the energy of the yellow sun in one of my kryptonian crystals to power my lightsaber

No man stands so tall as when he kneels to help a child
    Mr. Abe Lincoln

DROOL....

God i have missed frying my brain on threads like this...i missed you guys....

"Life tests you! Everyday it brings new chances for triumph or defeat.
    And if you pass the test, it doesn't make you a Jedi. It makes you human."

-Qui-Gon Gin