Thread: Ideal set up advice needed

Default Ideal set up advice needed

Guys, it's been a long while since I posted. Been too busy with costuming projects. Anyway, I want to completely rewire my home-made sabers and also convert my MR FX sabers.

What is the ideal set up for a really bright blade that can withstand medium dueling? I want sound as well. Please advise me on what LED to install, what driver, what sound card, sensors (if any). Also I want rechargeable batteries and a kill switch. I'm tired of dismantling my sabers every time the batteries die. How many of what type?

Has anyone come up with a nice convenient package to house everything in, like in the FX sabers?

I'll probably get Saber Project in Germany to convert a couple of my Master Replicas FX at first before I have a go myself.

I believe that string LEDs are eventually going to break because the blades always take a lot of punishment, so I want a super bright single LED.

BTW Check out my latest costumes on photobucket: http://s142.photobucket.com/home/Ata-pala/index
    Just a guy with a lightsaber and some questions.

First of all:

What color blade?

If you want any wiring diagrams, please check this:
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/search.php

There are 2 types of blades: Thick-walled, and Thin-walled.

I think that you would be ok with thin-walled.

There are many types of soundboards, but there is no 'best' exactly, but here's a few:

UltraSound 2.5*, SaberSound 1.0*, Crystal Focus V5, SuperONE 2.0, MR/Hfx, economy boards... ec.

All your rechargeable solutions depend of the soundboard/driver + LED combo.

*= Out of production.

But, you could have got all of your answers just by using search.
    Last edited by Rafalema; 05-16-2010 at 09:03 AM.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome back,

A luxeon/rebel LED with a thinwalled blade is the best IMO.

Recharge setups are very easy to install and usually need just one 3.7V li-ion cell to work.

I like MR soundboards the best for the money. Remember, the more stuf that is in a lightsaber, the more likely it is to break.

everyone of these questions can be answered by reading BTW.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Thanks guys. I really don't have time to read through all the threads to look for answers. I guess I'll go for the UltraSound board for all my conversions and new sabers. But everyting seems to be out of stock or out of production. I'll start with blue and green blades before converting my Sith sabers. Thin walls are duel-able, you say. I'll do that.
    Just a guy with a lightsaber and some questions.

The Ultrasound is never going to be produced again, so I don't know where you'll find one.
    Wait for Tim's new board

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Skottsaber View Post
    The Ultrasound is never going to be produced again, so I don't know where you'll find one.
    Wait for Tim's new board
    So it's the end of the US board ? A pity. You mentioned Tim's going to stock one ? I can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by iainm View Post
    Thanks guys. I really don't have time to read through all the threads to look for answers. I guess I'll go for the UltraSound board for all my conversions and new sabers. But everyting seems to be out of stock or out of production. I'll start with blue and green blades before converting my Sith sabers. Thin walls are duel-able, you say. I'll do that.
    IMHO, you can go step by step, learning first about a direct drive led (w/o sound), and then expand your universe starting with simple wiring with fx boards, then illuminated switches, accent, and recharge ports. I was like you a few time ago. Everything seemed complicated, but it is not that difficult, and fortunatly, this forum is full of helpfull people who know a lot. (great tuts too)
    But do not forget the first rule : Help yourself first, and then heaven'll help you (it's a rough translation from a french proverb)