Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Corbin's driver + Royal Blue LuxIII = not so bright

Unhappy Corbin's driver + Royal Blue LuxIII = not so bright

Hey guys, I just wired up my latest MHS and was a bit disappointed with the brightness. It looks really dull. The blade I am using is the complete Corbin battle blade from the shop. I know it wont look as good as the show blade but this thing is pretty pale. I am running a royal blue luxIII with Corbin's driver and using a Hasbro board for sound on a separate circuit (aside from the power switch, the board is momentary to match the Hasbro). Any ideas why it would be so dim?

***Fresh out of the package batteries used when I finished wiring so it can't be dead batteries***
    "Run when you have to, fight when you must, rest when you can."

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Weak solder connections could be the culprit. Royal Blue LEDs are really weak with Corbin's blade. I know that from experience
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

That could be... I am a somewhat seasoned solder vet but I hear cold joints can happen to any guy from time to time.

I used one of the quick disconnect set ups for it... any possibility I am losing something there?

Quote Originally Posted by strengthofrage View Post
    That could be... I am a somewhat seasoned solder vet but I hear cold joints can happen to any guy from time to time.

I used one of the quick disconnect set ups for it... any possibility I am losing something there?
    If the royal blue is anything like the regular blue... it's just a dimmer LED. The blue lux III is about 40 lumens compared to the green at 80. Also the human eye sees green as brighter. Also, I think that with the royal blues some of the light is not visible as it is in the UV spectrum.

Anyone, please correct me on that if I'm wrong.
    Darth Fender
    Sith Lord

You over estimate my FLOWERS!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Get some PolyP/Cellophane and put that in the blade. I like the saturation of Royal Blue despite it's "dimness".
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Well if I knew this I would've gotten a regular blue with my saber parts. Sounds like a prob the EJ may have.
    Dark Siders beware my golden blades.

Gold 2 standing by.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

to x wing you must listen, poly p the blade needs.

I've got 2 of these led's and they are plenty bright.

I have a double wrap of cellephane under the Corbin film and I also sanded the blade. Is the Poly P better than the cellephane? If so where might I get a roll of that?

I do like the color saturation Xwing, royal blue looks nice. I just would like it to be brighter. I need to get a show blade from the shop as well, I dont have anyone close by to duel with anyway, my battle blade is unused as of now.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

So you only have a double wrap of the cellophane? In thin walled blades I use a double of Corbin's and 3-4 feet of PolyP.

I doubt there is much of a difference between the films. I just use PolyP because I can get really large rolls of it.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Yep, I have a double of Corbin's and then a double of cellephane. It isnt a thin walled blade though, it is the thick walled 1" OD complete blade from the shop.