Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: White LED preference... XWing?

Quote Originally Posted by xwingband View Post
    yup, IMO go for Seoul. They are direct replacements for the Luxeons. There are loads of P4 sources out there... if you want to go for it they're just releasing R bins (meaning 100 lumens per watt, or about 300 lumens at 1A).

now that I got my Q5... :S

I have a pair of cree, bright little leds, star configuration, great deal. I'll upgrade when I see R bins somewhere, please keep us posted!
    -Mars

Embrace the luxeon side of the Force... to bring light, into lightsabers

I just checked out dealextreme and they had three different options...

-SSC Seoul P4 bare emitter (U-Bin)
    -Seoul Semiconductors Z-Power LED Emitter (U-Bin)
    -Seoul Semiconductors Z-Power LED Emitter (T-Bin)

... The 'bare emitter' is obviously without the star mount. Is there any significance to the 'Z-Power' thing? I want to make sure I am getting the P4's you guys were talkin' about.

Also... which Bin? (didn't see R-Bin)

Thanks again for the info, sorry so many questions... I feel like I am 'branching out' a bit, trying new things... being adventerous lol
    "Run when you have to, fight when you must, rest when you can."

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Second one. U bin not the emitter.

For the info Cee/Seoul has a track for their goals and it goes by letter and number. P5 is better than P4... It may be a bit before R's are readily available but I did see some CPF people selling/getting them.

Also the above are color bins not flux bins.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Ok, so I want the '-Seoul Semiconductors Z-Power LED Emitter (U-Bin)' for this?

I am anxious to see how white + filters works... I know a colored LED will always be brighter, but I am anxious anyway.
    Last edited by strengthofrage; 02-06-2008 at 04:24 PM.

I ordered the "Seoul Semiconductors Z-Power LED Emitter (U-Bin)" from DealExtreme today... only $5.82 and free shipping. Not bad.

Not to derail this thread, but has anyone utilized the P4 in warm white? i'd be interested to see how the warm white looks with and without filters...
    Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.

Miyamoto Musashi

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Their cool whites are somewhat warm by most standards. To me it's totally off putting to actually be a "warm" white. It's a sickly beige look.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Ok so, I’m thinking about giving the Seoul Semiconductors Z-Power LED Emitter (U-bin) a whirl for a couple of new sabers. Both sabers will be filtered to a Yellow or Orange, but from what I’ve been hearing about the Seoul it sounds like they should still be marginally brighter than the 3W amber. I just had a couple of questions about the Seouls. If I happened to miss the answer to one of these questions in another post, I would be grateful for a link. I try not to re-ask the obvious question.

1. What Optics are being used with the Seoul? Most of the places I’ve seen selling them offer reflectors. Is that the best option, or would you get better performance from a Luxeon Collimator and does the Lux 3/5 Lens holder fit the Seouls?
    2. I am still very new to wiring. I plan on using a 4aaa battery pack. Am I correctly reading the resistor chart in that My Seouls will require a 2.2 Ohm 5 Watt resistor?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Im my first MHS I have a Cree P4 (from Deal Extreme) with TCSS optics. I cut the little spars out of the bottom of the lens holder and it fit over the P4 just fine. I'm using a 2.2ohm 5watt resistor, and honestly, I am unimpressed with the results. They just do not light up the blade (with color disks) as well as a solid color LED does. I ordered a Q5 from Kai and we'll see how that goes, but I think I'm just going to stick with the Lux 3.

Mars' filtered amber looked pretty good to me....on the video.
    J.
    TK/TB/ID 8286
    501st Pathfinders Lancer
    Carolina Garrison- 501st Legion
    Blue Ridge Base- Rebel Legion
    BlackDOG across the SW forums galaxy......