Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Dooku Hilt Progress

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Try using the edit button instead of trippple posting Dark Navel
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Sorry bout the triple post and thanks for the edit info.

Well I don't have a drill press and can't get access to one so I am apprehensive about using a regular drill. Been to a couple of machine shops round where I live and it's like pulling teeth for a favor. (Even been during work in uniform still I get the evil eye, maybe I smell bad or something)

Anyway, that's why I wanted to go with something that will bond the LUX to the heatsink without having to drill hole etc.

Will the thermal paste actually work as a "paste" and glue it to the heatsink or must I try to get it mounted with screws?

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Thermal paste is all you need. It'll hold the LED on solid. Xwing uses it to glue Rebels onto heatsinks.

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

OK..Thanks again LM..I guess I'll be looking for the paste in the morning either at Radio Smack or at a local computer store.

Why dont ya look on the last post of page 2. I showed you how to drill a hole in your heatsink. You dont need a drill press.

Edit- For the sake of looking here is my post. I guess you missed it

You do not need to fill the hole with anything. Its fine as is.

And Thermal paste holds things together, Thermal grease just makes them slippery lol. Its good for gears that use lots of friction.

Also you dont need a drill press to drill holes in the heatsink. Just place your luxeon led on the area you want it to stay on, and mark 2 areas across each other and drill the holes with a regular drill.

Do it like so
    The black part is the LED, the red arrows indicate where you should drill your holes.

Darth Sequentius...Sith Lord

Bringing light to darkness.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Thermal past is easier for all concerned CD

It's a lot less involved.

Lord Maul, (or anyone else)

I went out a got a tube of Artic Silver 5 today. You state that this will essentially glue the LED to the heatsink correct? I read about thermal epoxies while researching this subject further.

Will it take some time for this to bond? Meaning, if I use the Artic Silver will I be able to start using the hilt etc or do I have of chance of dislodging the LED?

I guess coumpounds and epoxies are somewhat the same ans somewhat different so I wanted to check with others that have used this in the past.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

There will be a dry time for the paste...Look on the package, it'll tell you how long to wait.

I guess this is the answer then:

"Due to the unique shape and sizes of the particles in Arctic Silver 5's conductive matrix, it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink or with a low speed fan on the heatsink.) "

That is not talking about how long it will set. If a glue took 200 hours to set, I would much rather go with drilling holes.

In fact its saying, if I am reading correctly, that for example, if you leave your led on (After this has set properly) for 200 hours, It cannot contain anymore heat and therefore will not be a good heatsink anymore until it cools down again.
    Darth Sequentius...Sith Lord

Bringing light to darkness.