Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Dooku Hilt Progress

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

For chrome paint, generally it sucks. If your expecting polished metal look you'll probably be disappointed. I think it's more accurate because the resin hilts they actual filmed with were rather craptacular.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Didnt they chrome plate the resin hilts? I recall hearing that somewhere from the prop makers of the movies.
    Darth Sequentius...Sith Lord

Bringing light to darkness.

Yeah..I really think a real auminum tube is going to be the pomell. I don't want to cheap out on this with the amount of time and $$ that I have already put into it.

Need some help.

I don't have a drill press and I need to mount the LUX# to the heatsink that I made. Heatsink is made from copper washers that have been bonded with JB Weld. The washers are slightly offset in order to match the curve of the tube.

I guess I can mount it 1 of 3 ways:

Use copper screws to mount it to the heatsink
    Use nylon screws that will have to be modified
    Use JB Weld and glue it in place.

I will have to mount it offset on the heatsink as well in order for it to line-up properly. I am afraid that if I start to drill for either the copper of nylon screws I won't get them strait and it could turn into a mess.

Thoughts??

use thermal paste or thermal tape. Hey Dark navel where in Mass are you?

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Arm on Fire is right - use thermal paste. It will both help the heatsink function and it will secure the LED.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Thermal paste..thanks...I guess I can get that at radio smack??

Fire, I'm in Springfield MA.

Is thermal paste the same as thermal grease?? I need something to bond the LUX3 with the heatsink.

Sorry...one more. Should i fill the hole in with either JB Weld or thermal paste or leave it the way it ts?

You do not need to fill the hole with anything. Its fine as is.

And Thermal paste holds things together, Thermal grease just makes them slippery lol. Its good for gears that use lots of friction.

Also you dont need a drill press to drill holes in the heatsink. Just place your luxeon led on the area you want it to stay on, and mark 2 areas across each other and drill the holes with a regular drill.

Do it like so
    The black part is the LED, the red arrows indicate where you should drill your holes.

Darth Sequentius...Sith Lord

Bringing light to darkness.