Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: "Real Lightsabers"

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Probably would.[]

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?

Want to roleplay in the SW universe? Visit:
    </center>

well, then would there be any way to "seal" flexibly(is this a word?) the inside of a polyC tube without compromising it's strength?

Born of Sith, seduced by the light.

Blog Entries

I think I have mentioned before on another thread that I made a double-bladed Cold Cathode lightsaber - A red one. It was so bright that it hurt the eyes if you stared too long.

It was much easier to make than a neon lightsaber. I contained the cold cathode tube inside a 3/4 inch polyc tube. The longest CC tube I found though is only 24 inches long which is why I opted to make a double-bladed lightsaber. Overall length of the lightsaber was about 5 ft 9 inches. The blade had a little bit of flex and could be tapped against objects. Too fragile for dueling though.

I sold it on ebay.

As for GeluKhanGharr idea of putting neon gas in a PolyC tube...
    The problem is not that the neon gas will escape Out of the tube. Rather that normal air will seep Into the tube. Neon light works by coverting Neon gas into Plasma. To make this work with low heat and energy, the air pressure inside the Neon tube has to be very Low - i.e. a vacuum. that is why Neon is made of glass, because the glass tube is a sealed Vacuum with a few atoms of neon pumped in. As far as I now, polyC is not very good for making Neon tubes.

Lightsaber Warning Label: "CAUTION: Do NOT attempt to sharpen blade."

Bummer!

Double bummer! I've been wondering for a while if that'd be possible. Guess not []

"Chaka, call off Dawson, will ya?!"

Hows about this for a twist...holographic projector configured to project a 3-d "blade"-mounted in a lightsaber hilt. Would be a killer "dress" saber for conventions or simply shocking the socks off passersby. Waddya think?

My friend, that would be one sweet saber. Now for a double twist; maybe you could have lighted PolyC blade with a holographic projector projecting the colored "haze". then you could duel with it []

Speak softly and carry a big lightsaber.

I am afraid that type of Holoprojectors need more than one projection point. I think. Hmmm

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Idle thoughts... glass filled PolyC. I know it's a material. Made in tubes we could use or doesn't allow the gas to escape... beats me.[?]

But if it did work, that as a neon tube would make an AMAZING saber.

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?

</center>

wouldnt the glass break tho if you hit it?

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...