Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: "Real Lightsabers"

Default "Real Lightsabers"

Being the dweeb fan that I am, I was always blown away by the idea and thoughts of an "actual" lightsaber and how one might work. Many folks have had the same thoughts about how one might work and a lot has been written about the potential...

What are YOUR thoughts on the best possible "reality" of what a "real" lightsaber might actually be?

To start it off, I offer two things, first, I highly doubt that anything remotely like an energy sword could really be possible - as most scientific thinkers have said, but they do not really offer another option...

The custom sabers here and other places offer "lightsabers" that have a removable blade. My initial thought - once I got back to it is that this would be an acceptable, slow, but acceptable option. Put the blade on and use it... difficult to be fast though, no doubt.

Then I recalled two things. First, when I started doing video fro a living in 1992, it was a tad slow, so I worked part time in the evening selling security devices and the like. One of the things they sold a lot of had been stun guns, but one type of stun gun in particular recently popped into my head, it was a baton that had a electric coil around it. The thing gave quite a zap too.

The other item was that when i worked security years before, we carried a night stick when we worked non armed positions. At some point, they made telescopic batons with a spring coil in them - which can be had in various lengths now...

So, what if the "real" lightsaber was really just a very advanced telescopic baton like device with an extreme kick to it?

Interesting. I don't know if they ever made a telescopic stun baton, I would think the coils might break at some point, but that baton carried a heck of a zap to it...

RayH

I think building a real lightsaber is possible. In france they have built a meter long plasma torch, if you contain the plasma in a magnetic field to shape the plasma into a rod like shape building a lightsaber could be done. the only problem is some how building a power source that could fit in the hilt. seeing as how you would need about 100,000 volts of power that part would be hard to do.
    Not entirely impossible, just really hard to do.

Those who live by the sword, will die by the sword

There lots of ways to create air plasma. A few years ago I made a device that used high pressure Argon with a spark gap driver. I know for a fact that if you were to build a small X-RAY light module with a bestform optic focused into a tight beam. That beam will be fully ionised.The ionized beam will be able to guide plasma from high voltage spark in mid air. It is amazing how simple it is to make an xray light module. All you need is a piece of tungsten metal rotating in a vacuum sealed glass tube with a high voltage cathode, like from a fluorescent light bulb. This technology was discovered in the late 1800's.You need a lead tube to cover the module so that no xray light will leak out of the sides from the xr module. once the module is completed, you need the 1" glass optic to focus it into the invisible saber beam. I think you could probably use the same electrodes from the high voltage driver to place in front of the xr mod to ignite the plasma within the beam. Other than that as long as you somehow have a powerful ion beam, you can ignite it with high voltage spark. The other thing that im working on right now is a saber handle that fires massive amounts of super bright sparks almost 3 feet. I was able to create a funnel to shape the long sparks into a narrow path of spark light. I shot it over an open flame and discovered that spark path ignited even brighter than the post sparks. This technique works awesome!!!!!!! if you are trying to create saber visual, this is a funny but effective way to do it. I discover this when I took a piece of flint and made contact with my bench grinder. It looked so dam cool. So I though what if I were do downsize this concept with a funnel that will shape the spark path into a more narrow visual. I also discovered that If I placed my hand infront of the sparks, it does not burn or hurt. As silly as this concept may seem, it actually looks fascinating.The device that IM building uses a high powered 540 size rc motor with the small grinding wheel inside the hilt. Its powered by a 7.2v 6 amp rc battery. The only downfall is that motor sticks out of the side of the saber handle. So I'M trying to design a rectangle handle lol with a small compartment on the side so that it doesn't look so funny. Instead of calling it a lightsaber. I might called it a sparksaber LOL!!!!!!I also noticed that there are other metals that fire up even greater sparks.My needle nose shot out an extremely piercing bright spark path.As primitive as this concept is, I think it can be taken several steps further. Perhaps you could place the narrow spark path infront of high voltage electrodes. Or use a neodymium magnet to control the shape of the sparks or something like that. As crazy as this is, I do see a lot of potential with this direction.

from the sound of it photon you are talking of real looks .I am talking about a saber that will actually cut something .

Is that your lightsaber or are you happy to see me?

Man photon, you certainly bring a new and interesting angle to the saber business. Some of your ideas sound weird but you seem to pull them off great. Very refreshing!!

Less talk, more action........

You sure do have some crazy ideas photon- I'm surprised I understood all that. It sounds exciting, can't wait to see what you can do with it.

Sounds like if would certainly catch somones house on fire if not wired up
    safely or grounded correctly[]

Your best bet on actually cutting would be some sort of laser, it is about the only thing capable of high energy in a remotely compact package, at least as far as i have read

The Exploration network posted an article on the subject. Seems possible, but it'd be awfully heavy with current technology. Article is here: http://www.exn.ca/starwars/plasmasaber.cfm

Ok, here's something that came to mind. Not a "real" saber, but certainly gooooood looking. Neon. Duh! Well, let me explain. Not just neon, but neon entrapped inside a polyC tube. Is this kind of plastic too porous for neon? Or would the gas just escape like helium from a rubber baloon? Anyone knows?

Born of Sith, seduced by the light.